Carbiniferous Plants From Utah

mdpaulhus

These fossils are from the Pennsylvanian Manning Canyon Shale, Pelican Point Utah. The are very faint on the matrix so the contrast in the pictures is not very good.

I think the the first one is Neuropteris and the second one may be a Sphenopteris. I have no idea what the third one is.

Can any one confirm my guesses or offer an ID?

Thanks

post-1294-1244765804_thumb.jpg

post-1294-1244765831_thumb.jpg

post-1294-1244765858_thumb.jpg

Nice, sorry I can't help with the ID, but I am sure there will be someone along who can.

Great looking plants. I don't recognize any of them but they are just great looking!

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

mdpaulhus.... Ive had a look in my text books and I will have a go at an ID for you....But the second two look very different to anything I find....

photo 1.... Laveinopteris loshii

Photo 2....I wouldnt of said Sphenopteris, id of said Eusphenopteris or Renaultia

Photo 3..... Eusphenopteris sp.

Maybe Bruno will have a better Idea when he spots the thread.....

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

Thanks for this information. This will really help with the fossils I have shown as well as others from this site.

Thanks for this information. This will really help with the fossils I have shown as well as others from this site.

Bruno's PDF files are full of a wealth of knowledge and worth saving, for anyone that loves plant material.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to Bruno for providing the excellent paper on this formation, I think that I can definitely identify the 3rd specimen as Crossopteris utahensis. This also most likely what the fist speciemn is also, just a different part of the plant. It is hard to tell if there is single point attachment of the pinnule (like neuropteris I think), but I have some other specimens from the same site that look almost identical where you can see this is not the case, so I think Crossoperteris is probably correct.

I am still not sure on the second specimen as it is not in the best condition and it is hard to see the deatil even with a magnifying glass, but Diplothmema obtusloba looks closest to me (of course the pictures of Adiantites don't look too much differnt to someone like me that has never collected carboniferous plants before this).

I am certainly willing to accept that I am wrong on both IDs if someone has better knowledge on this.

here are the other two parts of tidwells papers. glad to see some other specimens from my local area. i have collected extensively in the Manning Canyon shale, and it remains one of my favorite places to go dig.

show us some more of what you have

Brock

Flora_of_the_Manning_Canyon_Shale__Part_II_Lepidodendrales.pdf

Flora_of_Manning_Canyon_Shale__Part_III_Sphenophyta.pdf

brodioptera_stricklani.pdf

Thanks for the additional papers. These are always very helpful.

I haven't spent too much time digging in this area but I do have a few more small fossils that I am posting pictiures of along with my tentative ID. I would like to get back to this are this year as the carboniferous materials are not all that common in my area. I have boxes full of Miocene, Eocene, and Cretaceous plants but this pretty much exhausts my collection of plants older than this.

Picture 1: Catamites

Picture 2: Cordaites

Picture 3: Crossopteris or Neuropteris?

Picture 4: Sphenopteris or Sphenopteridium?

post-1294-1246038772_thumb.jpg

post-1294-1246038881_thumb.jpg

post-1294-1246038929_thumb.jpg

post-1294-1246038996_thumb.jpg

A couple more photos:

Pictures 1 & 2: These are seeds that I have not been able to identify. Both halves of the split. The seed is about 5/8" long. Maybe cordaicarpus?

Picture 3: Another seed (I think). Not sure what this one may be.

post-1294-1246039167_thumb.jpg

post-1294-1246039180_thumb.jpg

post-1294-1246039401_thumb.jpg

Seed pod seems to be a reasonable guess, I haven't found any yet to compare it to.