Last Weekend

Northern Sharks

Last weekend, I was in the London, Ontario area because of another hobby. Once that was done, what better way to wrap up the day than by fossil hunting. I made the short drive to the Devonian Arkona/Hungry Hollow site with some friends and we decided to see what Ollie had left for us ;) . We stayed for about 3 hours and found mostly small stuff, but I did bring home the big plate of brachs. After getting home at midnight, after a few hours rest I was back at my local Ordovician quarry Sunday morning. Crinus made the drive up from Michigan and we met at the quarry. After seeing that no new blasts had taken place, I spent the rest of the day climbing around on the pile of crushed stone. Not much to be found except a pocket full of small brachs until, not long before we left, I finally found my first enrolled trilobite. Not the common Flexicalymene that I still want, but a small Isotelus gigas. The eyes of course are gone and he has a bit of a sinus condition, but considering he's been through a crusher, not too bad at all. My next trip is this Friday, when I hit the Silurian for the first time. Here's the pics

Devonian:

1) Naticonema lineata gastropod, small but nice

2) Tornoceras ammonites/goniatites. I just need to find one without shell damage

3) Plate of Mucrospirifer brachs. Loose ones are very common at this site, but the matrix pieces with the pin-like wing tips are not nearly as common

4) Headless Greenops trilobite

5 & 6) As I was sliding down a steep embankment towards the water, I managed to stop and this gastropod (Platyceras arkonense) and the Naticonema were basically at eye level. On Sunday, as I was showing Crinus my latest finds, I pulled out this one and he said "That's a crinoid" I'm thinking either he's looking at something else, or he's been in the sun a bit too long. Everything under the gastropod was covered in muddy clay, so I didn't notice it, but he took it in to the sink and cleaned it up and it became quite clear. The gastropod is sitting on the calyx of a Arthroacantha

Ordovician:

7 & 8) Enrolled Isotelus

post-77-1244859852_thumb.jpg

post-77-1244859876_thumb.jpg

post-77-1244859903_thumb.jpg

post-77-1244859925_thumb.jpg

post-77-1244859998_thumb.jpg

post-77-1244860016_thumb.jpg

post-77-1244860050_thumb.jpg

post-77-1244860067_thumb.jpg

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

Of course pics got mixed up. You can figure out what's what I'm sure

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

Looks like a good day to me. Or weekend that is.

With rocks in my head, and fossils in my heart....

Very cool finds with that Platyceras/crinoid combo and the Isotelus.

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

What do you mean "another hobby"? :unsure:

Nice stuff; you make it look easy!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

What do you mean "another hobby"? :unsure:

There is an annual show and swap for insulator collectors that just happens to be about 1/2 an hour from Arkona

post-77-1244902274_thumb.jpg

Here is my find from the Ordovician Sunday. A Ceruarus and a Prosopora bryozoan with some brachs. I hope to have these prepped by the end of the weekend. It is raining here so I might as well clean fossils.

crinus

Ah! It's all coming back to me now; somehow, I'd forgotten about your beautiful insulators (I plead guilty to being old). In their way, they are as fascinating and desirable as trilobites.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Love the display of the insulators. Kind of an alternate stained glass effect. :wub:

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

I like the goniatites. I was trying to remember who had that great collection of insulators.

Of course pics got mixed up. You can figure out what's what I'm sure

lol Didn't see this post at first was still on your pics and Id's thinking I could

swear that is a ______ Then looking again.

Very nice finds!

Welcome to the forum!