Finally, a Friday morning excursion!

masonboro37

On 12/11/2016 at 3:29 AM, MB said:

Very nice Libby :)

Alex, 

Hope all is well and thanks!  

Process of identification "mistakes create wisdom".

On 12/11/2016 at 4:29 AM, Ludwigia said:

Nice finds, Libby. Glad to see that you enjoyed yourselves.

Roger, we all did enjoy ourselves. Looking forward to getting back out there for more trips around my area this winter.

Libby 

On 12/11/2016 at 10:12 AM, digit said:

Other than some microscopic calcareous or siliceous spicules for support, sponges are pretty much soft-bodied organisms so--like the Essexella jellyfish of Mazon Creek fame--it's a wonder we have these in the fossil record at all. The internal cast of the chambers in this boring (as in "drilling" not "lame") sponge are one way of having their existence preserved through the eons. Really cool fossil--that one would have been a trip maker for me (though I do like the "gastropoop" door stop as well). :P

Looks like it was a fun trip. Post some of the finds from the micro-matrix you brought home (if you can photograph them).

Cheers.

-Ken

Ken, I will work on some pic's of the micro specimens this coming weekend, if I have time. Lot's of pretty forams in these buckets.

Libby

Hey Libby,

There are common sponge "body fossils" in clayey sediments at or near the top of many Castle Hayne formation sections.

There is a good bit of professional literature on the subject.

castle hayne sponges.pdf

On 12/11/2016 at 10:12 AM, digit said:

Other than some microscopic calcareous or siliceous spicules for support, sponges are pretty much soft-bodied organisms so--like the Essexella jellyfish of Mazon Creek fame--it's a wonder we have these in the fossil record at all. The internal cast of the chambers in this boring (as in "drilling" not "lame") sponge are one way of having their existence preserved through the eons. Really cool fossil--that one would have been a trip maker for me (though I do like the "gastropoop" door stop as well). :P

Looks like it was a fun trip. Post some of the finds from the micro-matrix you brought home (if you can photograph them).

Cheers.

-Ken

Ken,

Here are a few micro specimens from the matrix.  I did the best I could with the pic's. :) I think the first  pic is a crab claw frag or part of a carapace, not sure yet. Researching it and shall see what I find. The wee brachiopod looks similar to Probolarina transvera, Eocene. I just love forams, I have been finding so many. Have a great weekend.

Libby 

Crab claw frag CH 2016.jpg

Micro brac CH 2016.jpg

Micro forams CH 2016.jpg

On 12/14/2016 at 2:52 PM, MB said:

Yes Libby, all is well, thank you.

Hoping to end the article of your crab .... soon ;)

Alex, 

Great all is well! I cant wait to read all about my crab soon. :)

Libby

On 12/15/2016 at 8:42 AM, Plax said:

Hey Libby,

There are common sponge "body fossils" in clayey sediments at or near the top of many Castle Hayne formation sections.

There is a good bit of professional literature on the subject.

castle hayne sponges.pdf

Don,

Thanks so much for the link! 

Libby