Are Concreation Fossils The Only Fossils In Western Wa

trilo-biker

i really need some help with question I know ive started alot of topics here but I cant seem to get any good info any were else

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Lots and lots of concs in that state fella. The thing is, there are some extreamly nice fossils in some of those concs. You need to learn the sites and how to read a conc before 'whacking' it. The bad part is, you need air tools to expose the fossils! There are lots of different kinds of fossils in the world in all kinds of rock, but to me, the best fossils are in the concs!!!

Seems like I posted a bunch of different concs onto one thread not too long ago. If you can find it, check em out. Purty dang cool they is!!!

RB

I know that concs contane great fossils on my first try once I wacked open conc that contained a sweet shrimp claw.ive also found nice snail sells and clams to but i wish their was somthing out here like say shale that i could split open eiser but thanks guys

You hunt fossils in the geology you have, not the geology you wish you had...

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I know that concs contane great fossils on my first try once I wacked open conc that contained a sweet shrimp claw.ive also found nice snail sells and clams to but i wish their was somthing out here like say shale that i could split open eiser but thanks guys

The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence. Though I can understand your frustration not having the experience or tools.

There are fossils in shale in western WA not to to far out of seattle but its mostly boring plant stuff. I have cracked thousands of concretions and will never tire of the three dimensional fully inflated fossils found within the occasional "keeper"

You live in some of the best fossil bearing areas of the whole state which produce some of the best preserved fossils in the whole world. Theres alot of duds at murdock. Head further north. Murdocks good for the occasional dolphin skull in the spring after those winter storms but further north is loaded with more productive concretions year round.

:D

The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence. Though I can understand your frustration not having the experience or tools.

There are fossils in shale in western WA not to to far out of seattle but its mostly boring plant stuff. I have cracked thousands of concretions and will never tire of the three dimensional fully inflated fossils found within the occasional "keeper"

You live in some of the best fossil bearing areas of the whole state which produce some of the best preserved fossils in the whole world. Theres alot of duds at murdock. Head further north. Murdocks good for the occasional dolphin skull in the spring after those winter storms but further north is loaded with more productive concretions year round.

:D

thanks a ton dude!

I have yet to have collected in an area with concs. I wish I had your problem :D

Be true to the reality you create.

• New Members

HI Micropterus101,

I'm brand new to the forum. Actually I registered so I could ask you a question :)

You said, "There are fossils in shale in western WA not to to far out of seattle but its mostly boring plant stuff." I haven't gone fossil hunting since I was a little kid and then only once. But it's still one of my fondest childhood memories (it was a field trip we took in 5th grade).

I currently live in Seattle. I'd love to take my kids out to look for fossils, but have no idea where to go. If you can point me to one of those boring areas with plant stuff, I'd be a very happy guy!

Thanks,

Kevin

HI Micropterus101,

I'm brand new to the forum. Actually I registered so I could ask you a question :)

You said, "There are fossils in shale in western WA not to to far out of seattle but its mostly boring plant stuff." I haven't gone fossil hunting since I was a little kid and then only once. But it's still one of my fondest childhood memories (it was a field trip we took in 5th grade).

I currently live in Seattle. I'd love to take my kids out to look for fossils, but have no idea where to go. If you can point me to one of those boring areas with plant stuff, I'd be a very happy guy!

Thanks,

Kevin

Let me pull out my maps Ill give you the info. They are in roadcuts here and there.

• New Members
Let me pull out my maps Ill give you the info. They are in roadcuts here and there.

That would be wonderful! Is it legal to just collect from those areas? Or do you need some permits, etc? I really appreciate the help!

• 4 years later...

I'm new to the forum and also ahve fond memories from childhood - wanting to know where around Seattle I can take my kids fossil hunting? I've heard that on Olympic Penninsula you can find a lot on the beaches but no idea where to look... if anyone has ideas I'd relaly appreciate it!