Chesapeake Bay Fossils

vmi81wife

Hi! I've spent the last 45+ years collecting fossils on the Chesapeake Bay in a region known as Scientists' Cliffs near Parker's Creek. In addition, I've collected fossils in Southern Indiana since we moved here in 1997. The neatest thing is I found the find of a lifetime -- a 4+ inch Megalodon shark's tooth on May 30, 2009, in about 2 1/2 feet of water near Parker's Creek! Let me know what you think of it! vmi81wife

post-1795-1244929345_thumb.jpg

Thats a very nice tooth, and welcome to the forum from Galveston Texas. Would like to see more of your finds when you have time.

Galveston Island 32 miles long 2 miles wide 134 bars 23 liquor stores any questions?

Evolution is Chimp Change.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain!

"I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen." Ernest Hemingway

I think there are six or eight Forum members (who are regular denizens of Calvert beaches) that are clutching their chests right now!

Welcome to the Forum!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

welcome to the forum. it's a very nice tooth - one that many members here would love to have found.

it was very nice meeting you on the beach, im glad you join the forum. I hope to see much more from you. Welcome to the forum.

gallery_17_41_9178.jpg

Hi,

Nice tooth! Have yet to have collected one that big! :D

Be true to the reality you create.

Thats a very nice tooth, and welcome to the forum from Galveston Texas. Would like to see more of your finds when you have time.

Thank you very much! I was thrilled when I found it. I've pretty much found fossilized whale bones & vertebrae, rays teeth, shells, and other items at the Bay. In southern Indiana, I've found all kinds of ammonites, brachiopods, ferns, plants, what we call Indian beads (crinoids), and large chunks of fossilized ocean bed from when Indiana was under water!

it was very nice meeting you on the beach, im glad you join the forum. I hope to see much more from you. Welcome to the forum.

Thank you, I was surprised at your finds! I'm going to have to look in the creek areas more closely from now on when I'm down at the Bay. Unfortunately, I'm stuck back in Indiana until next summer.

Hi,

Thanks! It took me 45+ years to find one, but when I did I was dancing and screaming in the water; my college roommate thought I'd been stung by jellyfish! LOL!

Hi,

You're not that far (maybe 6 hours or so) from the Chesapeake Bay depending on where you are in North Carolina. I know there are open beaches in the area for fossil hunting if you ever get up that way. My parents own a beach house in a gated community about an hour south of Annapolis, MD.

I think there are six or eight Forum members (who are regular denizens of Calvert beaches) that are clutching their chests right now!

Welcome to the Forum!

:) Thanks, my Aunt Billie Webster told me she's never found one that size in her almost 80 years of going to the Bay! We used to walk from Governor's Run up to Parker's Creek as kids, finding fossils all along the way. Fifty years later, I'm still doing it (although, we live a little ways up from Governor's Run now). I envy anyone who gets to stay on the Bay year-round, because it is where my soul is at peace. :)

Welcome to the forum from Texas. Very nice tooth.

Thank you very much! Two gentlemen I met while walking along the Calvert Cliffs gave me a card to this site. It's fascinating, and I get green with some of the fossils people have found! LOL!

welcome to the forum. it's a very nice tooth - one that many members here would love to have found.

Thank you very much. I believe it is the find of my lifetime! :)

Dear vmi81wife,

hello from Hamburg/Germany. Nice and big shark tooth, you found !

At the moment I am working on bed 16 of Calvert Cliffs and found quite well preserved specimens last evening. My excursion will go on for some months - you may ask how, as I stay in Germany -

I am a microfossil-hunter and digest samples I got/took in February 2009. Maybe you take a look into that fascinating world in the dust you usually wash away as the Chesapeake Bay area is real rich and findings are very well preserved.

all the best

Foram-Mike

www.foraminifera.eu/calvertcliffs.html

Foram-Mike, Owner of www.foraminifera.eu
So far we show 12000+ images of foraminifera online for free

Send us your images, samples and specimens to enlarge our coverage

FeuLogoblack.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Awesome find man and welcome to the forums! I used to live in Virginia and my parents recently moved to Indiana as well! I'll be visiting them in Carmel during Christmas break, maybe we could go hunting together

Cheers

bug.gif

That's a monster tooth. Hate to run into the guy who spit it out!

I found a fossilized tooth washed up on the beach at Destin Fla. That was surreal. About 2" long, looks like a big mako.

Welcome to the forum, some SERIOUS fossil geeks here offering their knowledge! I've only been here a day and am blown away!

Welcome from North Texas! Nice find! I would probably die a happy man if I found a tooth like that.

Wish they grew megs in Texas.

Dave Bowen

Collin County, Texas.

Paleontology: The next best thing to time travel.