Petalodus?

nocerisdave

Upper Missisipian, limestone shale, Morgan County, AL. I have found petalodus teeth In this area before. However the tooth, if it is a tooth, on the left is somewhat different from previously found ones. Is the other fossil, part of a jaw bone?

Tooth1.jpg

jawbone3.jpg

fossil.jpg

jawbonefront.jpg

toothside.jpg

toothback.jpg

Have looked at your fossils several times. I think the one on the left is a broken off

petalodus tooth. The one on the right looks like some part of a petalodus also, not

sure about a jaw as I have never seen one. Maybe a tooth from a different part of the mouth

even. The second tooth does have that part which says petalodus to me also. The second pic shows it clearly. I mean that pattern that looks like small circles. Sorry but don't know what it's called.

Wish I knew for sure..

Welcome to the forum!

just to add to the confusion...

The one on the left is a Cladodus shark tooth base. The spikey part is missing.

The "jaw" is a pavement tooth from a fish similar to Deltodus. Nice finds!

Tooth1.jpg

hi nocerisdave, looking at your first pic i would say the first tooth is definately a shark tooth and the second tooth is ratfish (chimaeras) going by the shape and dotty texture :)

btw nice finds :)

Thank you all for the input. Lung fish or Deltodus for the one on the right? I could see how it might be one or the other. However I have other Deltodus teeth, when I find them, I will post a pic, they are the back or molar teeth, I believe. It would make sense finding the two in the same area. Is it possible that lung fish teeth are in my area of North Alabama? Thanks again!

Guest N.AL.hunter

No you will not find those in N. AL. Xaphactinus' earlier IDs are correct for the type of shark teeth they are.

No you will not find those in N. AL. Xaphactinus' earlier IDs are correct for the type of shark teeth they are.

Xiphactinus audax? Part of a jawbone? I was hoping you would chime in. Thanks.

Xiphactinus audax? Part of a jawbone? I was hoping you would chime in. Thanks.

No, he's referring to my screen name and agreeing that it is a Deltodus tooth.... :D

No, he's referring to my screen name and agreeing that it is a Deltodus tooth.... :D

I see. Thanks for the help!