Plant Seeds Or Sea Shells?

RomanK

Last hunting I have found some strange specimens - huge amount prints looked like seeds. I can't ID ones, and even not sure whether they are plant fossils or small shells, cause I never found something like this. Has somebody any idea?

post-814-1245681325_thumb.jpgpost-814-1245681338_thumb.jpg

post-814-1245681347_thumb.jpgpost-814-1245681356_thumb.jpg

post-814-1245681363_thumb.jpg

There's something of a concentric structure on some of them (last picture especially) that makes me think they might be clams?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

There's something of a concentric structure on some of them (last picture especially) that makes me think they might be clams?

May be yes, not sure. This is tipical multilayered dead rock like clay with thouthands very thin layers. It's very fragile rock which easily brakes in your fingers.

Hi Roman

no problem ,I can tell you non marine bivalvia ,likely : Anthraconauta or Anthraconaia ,very nice .....

congratulations

bruno

Hi Roman

no problem ,I can tell you non marine bivalvia ,likely : Anthraconauta or Anthraconaia ,very nice .....

congratulations

bruno

Thanks Bruno, your info is very helpful. Did you note that the scale is very different for diff. pics, not only 1 cm, but up to 4 or 5. This is my first lacustrine (fresh water) finding. I'm happy.

I don't think so, it's a bit different thing. On your pic you can see clams clearly.

hi romank, i was showing you a picture of non marine bivalves to help with your fossil id, i wasnt trying to say they were the same as yours, just similar, but hey im glad bruno gave you the id you were looking for aka non marine bivalves

Hi Roman

congratulations

bruno

Bruno, I've got a three dimentional exemple of the Anthraconauta, hope. Look

post-814-1245766316_thumb.jpg

hi romank, i was showing you a picture of non marine bivalves to help with your fossil id, i wasnt trying to say they were the same as yours, just similar, but hey im glad bruno gave you the id you were looking for aka non marine bivalves

Thanks moonmoth', I agree with Bruno and your comments, look at my last post.

Very cool looking. There must have been a short term rise in the level of the swamp that allowed the bivalves to colonize. Makes for a nice example of the constantly fluctuating sea level.

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Very cool looking. There must have been a short term rise in the level of the swamp that allowed the bivalves to colonize. Makes for a nice example of the constantly fluctuating sea level.

Or this sediment was deposited in a deeper channel. If it was estuarine, it had to be low salinity.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

RomanK..... we have an identical layer over here in the North West of England...... the 'less shelly stuff' of the same layer has produced fish fossils if you split it down.... ;) probably from a slightly deeper area of the delta where the bivalves could been crushed and eaten by fish.... ive found ' fish or shark regurgitates' containing these small shells....

post-1630-1245746205_thumb.jpg

I know they give these coal seams many names, but with geological faults and such ...many are probably the same layer.... Varying in thickness as they would naturally do through erosion and varying levels of deposition of plant material....Ive noticed it in situ and it sits right above a coal seam.... so right after the area was heavily forested for a period to create the peat & coal.... It was a shallow muddy lagoon or river.... ideal for theses bivalves to flourish....

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

RomanK..... we have an identical layer over here in the North West of England...... the 'less shelly stuff' of the same layer has produced fish fossils if you split it down.... ;) probably from a slightly deeper area of the delta where the bivalves could been crushed and eaten by fish.... ive found ' fish or shark regurgitates' containing these small shells....

post-1630-1245746205_thumb.jpg

I know they give these coal seams many names, but with geological faults and such ...many are probably the same layer.... Varying in thickness as they would naturally do through erosion and varying levels of deposition of plant material....Ive noticed it in situ and it sits right above a coal seam.... so right after the area was heavily forested for a period to create the peat & coal.... It was a shallow muddy lagoon or river.... ideal for theses bivalves to flourish....

Thank you, Terry, very interesting 'layer'. You can see the sigillaria print just next to the shell prints. And a lot of small concretions, possibly around the shells.

post-814-1245751600_thumb.jpgpost-814-1245751861_thumb.jpg

Hi Roman

These levels limnic fauna (freshwater) are conducive to the discovery of the fauna . So in the aera of LIEVIN in northern France in shales with anthraconauta and anthraconia ,euestheria sometimes contain arthropod kind Euproops , made carefully and be vigilant in your levels of fauna you might find similar animals , perhaps one day you will be happy to find a Valloisella( my limule ) ,because this small animal has a cosmopolitan distribution in Europe, it was found by an amateur in Poland (Silesia)....

best regards

bruno ;););)

post-967-1245778690_thumb.jpg

post-967-1245778714_thumb.jpg

post-967-1245778736_thumb.jpg

post-967-1245778775_thumb.jpg

post-967-1245778804_thumb.jpg

post-967-1245778827_thumb.jpg

post-967-1245778878_thumb.jpg

the specimen in Poland: valloisella

it is exceptional we can see the 'coxa', it is in a ventral position .....I wish you much luck Roman , and I encourage you to continue searching in these shales ....... ;););)

post-967-1245780080_thumb.jpg

post-967-1245780098_thumb.jpg

post-967-1245780220_thumb.jpg

it is exceptional we can see the 'coxa', it is in a ventral position .....I wish you much luck Roman , and I encourage you to continue searching in these shales ....... ;););)

Bruno, I'm very happy to discuss with you al my last findings. This is very specific case. That specs are not from conical coal tip, they are from separate heaps placed after the mine was closed. Look at the picture

post-814-1245782337_thumb.jpg

I'll visit that place once again and hope find something new.

post-814-1245782807_thumb.jpg

I'll visit that place once again and hope find something new.

post-814-1245782807_thumb.jpg

Yes, Roman, please look very closely there! :)

Bruno... did you find Palaeoxyris, Vetacapsula (shark eggcases) and individual fish scales in the same layer?...

Bruno... did you find Palaeoxyris, Vetacapsula (shark eggcases) and individual fish scales in the same layer?...

Hi steve

No only arthropods !

bruno

Bruno.... Thanks... I think everyones seen my crabs so i wont show em again lol :o ...

I will see if I can find a photo of the shelly layer for comparison RomanK......