Finds From The Drumheller Badlands

captain badlands

Cool, I get to post pictures... this could take a while. I'm no paleantologist, I'm only capable of the most basic identifications. Apparently fossils from Alberta are a bit of an oddity because of our government's laws on collection and possession.....

a fairly large piece of petrified wood, taken near Wayne, Alberta.

drumheller09020.jpg

chunk of dino bone found near Orkney Lookout, Alberta

IMGP2188.jpg

same as previous picture, different angle + scale

IMGP2187.jpg

likely the coolest find so far, a vertebra with most of the foramens intact, but no canal

IMGP2191.jpg

- to be able to lead, you must first refuse to follow

- is that a rock hammer in your pocket, or are you just that happy to see me?

- where are all the unicorn fossils? that stupid troll lied to me!

PS, my avatar is Galeodes arabs, the largest species of solifugid. this one is a baby.....

But wait, there's more! PS, pretty much my entire collection is from the Drumheller area....

a different angle of the vertebra

IMGP2192.jpg

a neat piece of petrified wood- are those worm trails in the upper left?

IMGP2197.jpg

hadrosaur claws

IMGP2204.jpg

found this in a fossiliferous piece of stone, there were many coniferous plant inclusions... Is this Amber?

IMGP2201.jpg

PS, my avatar is Galeodes arabs, the largest species of solifugid. this one is a baby.....

interesting chunk of Dino bone found in Horsethief Canyon, near Drumheller

IMGP2296.jpg

a gastropod, this piece doesnt photograph well at all...

IMGP2295.jpg

this was probably the best condition of any marine fossil I've found thus far. I was well on my way to gtting this sucker out intact, but as per usual one slip of the hammer and kaboom! I kept this because the way it broke you get a perfect cross - sectional look, note how well preserved the detail in the hinge is

IMGP2294.jpg

Another bivalve, in comparatively good shape. It's hard to get marine fossils in good condition round these parts

IMGP2291.jpg

the "hadrosaur Claws" are actually therapod teeth. like albertosaurus, nanotyrannus or t-rex. which i am not sure. post more pictures and maybe someone else can pin them down

brock

another vertebra, I have a total of four verts in varying condition...

IMGP2290.jpg

a shell cluster, this is the most typical condition that bivalves are found in here

IMGP2289.jpg

a very fragmented piece of bone. I stumbled across this right out in the open, and had to sacrifice a smoke pack to collect the fragments and store them properly

IMGP2190.jpg

a neat trilobite pair sold to me as coming from Peru, Ordivician

P1080067.jpg

Interesting fossils. I like the cross section of the bivalve and the improvised bone jacket.

hey Joe, as Brock said your claws are actually teeth, probably from Albertosaurus. The one on the left is a premax tooth and comes from the very front of the jaw. Thats also a very nice piece of dino bone with the crystals in it.

I'll probably never get used to the idea that there are places where you can go and pick up pieces of dinosaurs! Too cool!!

The insect damage to the piece of pet. wood looks like the galleries made by beetle larva, and the "amber" sure looks like amber to me!

What a great hunting ground you have; dinos, marine inverts, and plants! <Insert experssion of barely stifled envy>

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

hey Joe, as Brock said your claws are actually teeth, probably from Albertosaurus. The one on the left is a premax tooth and comes from the very front of the jaw. Thats also a very nice piece of dino bone with the crystals in it.

Thank you for the info, I had assumed incorrectly that they could not possibly be teeth, I would have expected something much larger. Admittedly, I have much to learn about the things I find. I havent had anybody else to tell me what is what, and why it is. This whole thing with the tooth raises an interesting possibility, as they were found in VERY good proximity to the large vertebra and the chunk of bone in post 1, pics 2 and 3.

could you give me the reader's digest version of how you identify them as teeth, or possibly post a link? Is it because of the striations on the ventral surface of the tooth? FEED MY BRAIN PLS, he's hungry!

trilobiotes are probably not from peru. they look like elrathia kingi from utah. wheeler formation. google it and let me knwo what you think

brock

trilobiotes are probably not from peru. they look like elrathia kingi from utah. wheeler formation. google it and let me knwo what you think

brock

a good call, I dont know enough about them to dispute the information. This would be my first trilobite, I normally dont pay for fossils either. I really like the piece so I bought it. They could even be from BC couldnt they? It stands to reason that there are formations from a similiar time period in both places.

Welcome to the forum from Calgary

You have some nice finds

Bone Digger is right on the two teeth,

I thought he would have gotten them all by now :D

here is a link to a site that will help you identify some of your dino fossils. The fellow who runs the site is also a member here but I don't think he is on much anymore. http://www.geocities.com/joe2nora/PaleoSociety.html Have you been trilobite hunting in B.C.?

thanks for the link.... nope, we had planned a trip into BC for this weekend (had to cancel), we were looking at some areas around Three Valley Gap/Golden. That's why I came here, I need to find other paleo geeks who have been to BC. I've only ever been to Drumheller, and that neat spot up by MacLean Creek, up the logging road halfway to Elbow Falls. I'm a total NOOB to this, but like they say the journey of a thousand miles begins with one step....

I really like the dinosaur bone with the crystals inside, that is a very cool display piece!

If you believe everything you read, perhaps it's time for you to stop reading...

I really like the dinosaur bone with the crystals inside, that is a very cool display piece!

they have similiar pieces in local shops, but they want hundreds of dollars for anything with crystals. I laugh at any Alberta resident who buys local fossils... for a fraction of the cost you could likely find one on your own. Bone fragments are abundant to the degree I could probably teach an armless blind person the basics of searching in a few minutes!

I have a piece of petrified wood that looks normal on the outside, but inside has been completely replaced with crystals. Havent found anything close to it since.....

brock

Yup...gotts agree with that.

Nice bones. I really like that one with the xls too. :D

Be true to the reality you create.

Really like the dinosaur bone with the crystals it would make a nice centerpiece in any collection

Galveston Island 32 miles long 2 miles wide 134 bars 23 liquor stores any questions?

Evolution is Chimp Change.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain!

"I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen." Ernest Hemingway