More Big Brook Area

Haddy

From Sunday, in spite of the rain! Aside from the shark teeth, I've included some other stuff I found. Some id would be appreciated on the 2 rocks. I've attached a few extra pictures because it's hard to see in photos; the big rock has some impressions in it. I've been bringing home odd-looking rocks all my life....

post-1782-1245805002_thumb.jpg

post-1782-1245805118_thumb.jpg

post-1782-1245805195_thumb.jpg

post-1782-1245805477_thumb.jpg

post-1782-1245805673_thumb.jpg

Get good and wet, did ya'? :P

The bigger rock (4th pic) and the right-most rock in the 5th pic look like the iron "concretions" we find in the Calvert formation. They do have some weird shapes occasionally.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Get good and wet, did ya'? :P

The bigger rock (4th pic) and the right-most rock in the 5th pic look like the iron "concretions" we find in the Calvert formation. They do have some weird shapes occasionally.

There's a lot of really odd concretions in Big Brook. This may well be yet another; one of the indentations is a cylindrical shape. Photos really don't do it justice, but I thought I'd ask if anyone else sees anything before it goes in the rockpile....

It rained on Sunday, then the sun was out briefly, then it poured (just what we need after about 3 straight weeks of rain). The brook was much higher than last time. Thankfully it was warm and I was dressed right. Hardly saw anyone there.

...Hardly saw anyone there.

Ahh, the hidden uses of adversity!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

• 2 weeks later...

The more cylindrical dark rock may be a burrow infill. Common in parts of the Navesink. The red rocks are just iron concretions. They often look like fossils. The round white thing has me very interested. Is it an oyster valve? Exogyra maybe?

I can't believe that nobody has pointed out the obvious one yet.

It's an ear.

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold