Croc Or Gator Tooth

dmmax7

2.65" Central Florida Miocene Clay Deposits

Is it a Giant Crocodile tooth or a Alligator tooth?

best advice - If you don't know for sure don't say anything

2.65" Central Florida Miocene Clay Deposits

Is it a Giant Crocodile tooth or a Alligator tooth?

best advice - If you don't know for sure don't say anything

gee, it's probably a gator. wait, wait, no, maybe a mosasaur, or a croc or something.

i don't know for sure.

I agree with Tracer so I'm not going to say anything either...

If you believe everything you read, perhaps it's time for you to stop reading...

Very large gator tooth. My biggest from the formation you hunt is 2 1/4 inches. Nice megs in the background, by the way.

youtube-logo-png-46031.png

Crocagator, or Allidile for sure.

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

Crocodile I'd say with certainty. Crocodile teeth tend to be curved, where as alligator teeth are generally straight. This accounts for why at a mature age, an alligator's teeth do not show, but a crocodile's stick out--they are curved to fit snugly around the upper and lower jaws when closed.

Look at some specimens compared on this site:

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt...sa%3DG%26um%3D1

Appreciate it Cris - been sceptical for a while now - original advice, I think from... tracer, was a giant crocodile tooth but some people are a little confused, wanted to make sure I got to a good source. Found a bunch of both crocodile and gator teeth over the past two years but this is the largest. The structures seem to be similar, I guess I should have focused on the structure and not the shear size. Thanks again

Crocodile I'd say with certainty. Crocodile teeth tend to be curved, where as alligator teeth are generally straight. This accounts for why at a mature age, an alligator's teeth do not show, but a crocodile's stick out--they are curved to fit snugly around the upper and lower jaws when closed.

Look at some specimens compared on this site:

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt...sa%3DG%26um%3D1

I find a ton of curved alligator teeth. They're about 50/50 curved vs. straight. All alligator teeth over 1.5" are curved.

Alligator teeth can be curved to a degree, but croc teeth have much more curve to them from what I've seen. There really isn't a better way to tell them apart that I know of, but I could be wrong.

Alligator teeth can be curved to a degree, but croc teeth have much more curve to them from what I've seen. There really isn't a better way to tell them apart that I know of, but I could be wrong.

It seems that collectors don't realize that the common Miocene crocodile in Florida is Gavialosuchus americanus, a narrow-jawed fish-eater. As a fish-eater, it had slender, spikey teeth. These croc's maxed out at about 15 feet.

Teeth from a 15 foot Alligator were far more robust than the teeth of a similar-sized Gavialosuchus.

Big teeth and big crocodile is not a valid correlation in the Miocene of Florida. A big crocodilian tooth is much more likely to be from a 'gator than from a crocodile.

post-42-1245894275_thumb.jpg

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

And I learned something new, so thank you very much for that as well. Though it would have been helpful to post a croc tooth next to a gator tooth instead of a gator tooth next to a mososaur tooth. :D So I guess it is an Alligator tooth after all? Very similar, yet dissimilar animals... who know that telling them apart would be so difficult :faint:

hey, just for the record, i'm the first person who stated definitively that the renoberative ogive had the appropriate sectional density to have only originated from one particular brand of lizard. the ballistic coefficient of that tooth could not have possibly come from any gavialosuchus on the planet, unless it was one on sterioidiceuticals, and it's very well known that gavialosuchus fossils are never found in context with gloves or bats.

and the reason gators' teeth aren't as curved is because they're basically knuckleballers.

in summation, kinda "robust" (fat), it's a gator or a tater. kinda lean, long, and really sharp and mean lookin', it's a tracer.

thank you for your support (hose).

(sorry, dmmax7, but i hadn't been an idiot lately and yours was the post i picked to be one).

(p.s. - some of the flordidians on here really know their stuff because they dive 23/6 for it. i'd happily label the thing a allitoother gate based on the feedblack you got. but i said gator first.) <walking away, lookin' all smug and telgent>