Is This A Fossil Tooth?

fig rocks

I took back the first photograph, I reorientated it, and I drew in red what seems to me to be streaks (lodges that can correspond to a phragmocone?). Compare with links.

phragm12.jpg phragm11.jpg

I am not sure, but it could be.

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Pareidolia : here

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

I love your avatar, that is a beautiful baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thank you he is my grand son :D :D :D :D :D

i came saw drooled and collected

I took back the first photograph, I reorientated it, and I drew in red what seems to me to be streaks (lodges that can correspond to a phragmocone?). Compare with links.

phragm12.jpg phragm11.jpg

I am not sure, but it could be.

Coco

The specimen looks "water-tumbled" which removes the individual raised segments. I'll throw out a 2nd swag: Turritella? My references are: "The Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Fossils" & Chuck Finsley's "A Field Guide to to Fossils of Texas." This is based on comparing the photos in the books to your specimen, as I don't know much about invertebrates. My collecting focus is vertebrates, but I don't pass uo interesting invertebrates, minerals or relics either. Hope you get a difinite Id on it.

Mike

-----"Your Texas Connection!"------

Fossils: Windows to the past

coco already nailed this one. it's the visible means of support for some paleo calamari. don't get the cocktail sauce out - you're millions of years too late. it's a siphuncle-sedimented section of a phragmacone.

there's no tooth and that's the whole truth. it ain't a bone, it's a phragmacone.

Looking at the last pic on her 2nd link I would tend to side with Coco.

I also agree that it sure looks like it. Only problem is it is found in Middle Silurian not Cretaceous. We now how two options; change the Id or the age. Back to square one. :rolleyes:

Mike :P

I also agree that it sure looks like it. Only problem is it is found in Middle Silurian not Cretaceous.

In that case, it pretty much has to be an orthoconic cephalopod, doesn't it?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

to me the taper seems quite sharp to be orthoconic. also, although i don't know what i'm talking about, just googling gave the info that orthocones have been found from late cambrian to late triassic, but belemnites have been found from the mississippian through the cretaceous.

so i still think it's a phragmocone. but if i'm being ignernt somehow please feel free to enlighten me. no guarantee though that i'll understand any clarifications proffered.

In that case, it pretty much has to be an orthoconic cephalopod, doesn't it?

A what?! Ok, dig out the books again. <_< I'm back! I will probably get writers cramp, but I will sacrafice for the cause. :rolleyes: ORDER ORTHOCCERIDA, Michelinoceras (was Orthoceras): "All, long straight cephalopods with simple siphuncles used to be called Orthoceras. However, a closer look convinced paleontologist that no North American species fit that type, and now Orthoceras is an appropriate name mostly for European species. Many of the North American cones formerly called Orthoceras are now called Michelinoceras. Others are placed in the genera Pleurorthoceras, found in the Upper Ordovician of Ohio and Manitoba, and Kionoceras, from the Middle Ordovician through the Lower Permian throughout North America."

TA, TA! :faint:

A what?! Ok, dig out the books again. <_< I'm back! I will probably get writers cramp, but I will sacrafice for the cause. :rolleyes: ORDER ORTHOCCERIDA, Michelinoceras (was Orthoceras): "All, long straight cephalopods with simple siphuncles used to be called Orthoceras. However, a closer look convinced paleontologist that no North American species fit that type, and now Orthoceras is an appropriate name mostly for European species. Many of the North American cones formerly called Orthoceras are now called Michelinoceras. Others are placed in the genera Pleurorthoceras, found in the Upper Ordovician of Ohio and Manitoba, and Kionoceras, from the Middle Ordovician through the Lower Permian throughout North America."

TA, TA! :faint:

Huh? :blink:

to me the taper seems quite sharp to be orthoconic....

I agree.

...Only problem is it is found in Middle Silurian not Cretaceous. We now how two options; change the Id or the age. Back to square one. :rolleyes:

Mike :P

I re-read the thread, and the site of origin is given as Cretaceous.

I think it is a belemnite's phragmocone.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

Huh? :blink:

I cannot see the appropriate geometry and symmetry in these two-dimensional images; but, my first thought was "Conulariida!" Probably not, since conulariids are Paleozoic, not Mesozoic. Nonetheless, that was my impression.

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

I agree.

I think it is a belemnite's phragmocone.

The specimen pictured in my book shows it as slightly curved, but that is most likely due to deformation during fossilization, as this specimen is still partly imbedded in matrix. I cannot view any taper as it is covered by the matrix, but with what is showing it does pretty much look like a match. Auspex gets the "atta-boy & gold star" for the Id (unless he is humiliated by someone of superior intellect who actually knows what they are doing & casts him into the dungeon of shame). :D Let us hear it for Auspex! Woo, woo, woo! :rolleyes:

Not to try to take the spotlight from Auspex, but if you reread the thread it was Coco who first correctly IDed the specimen, so atta girl Coco! 1 for girls, 0 for boys. Woo, woo, woo! :P

Not to try to take the spotlight from Auspex, but if you reread the thread it was Coco who first correctly IDed the specimen, so atta girl Coco! 1 for girls, 0 for boys. Woo, woo, woo! :P

I concur completely :)

As a matter of fact, it seems the only guy who didn't add a layer of confusion was tracer! He's really slipping... :P

My most sincere apology to Coco. :blush: (X Auspex & add Coco who now will have an "Atta girl & gold star" in place of Auspex's "Atta boy & gold star." Plus she gets the dungeon of doom if etc, etc, etc). Oh, I almost forgot, Woo, woo, woo! :P

:rofl:

Mike, There is no problem. Everything is well!

Bye

Coco

----------------------

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

here coco - a picture present. June 13, 2007, Corpus Christi, Texas.

well well, if those arnt familiar!

A skate egg case and a little... type of crab!

which beach down there was it taken on?

"To do is to be." -Socrates

"People are Stupid." -Wizard's First Rule

"Happiness is a warm Jeep." -Auspex

Thanks Tracer for this pic ! Nice eggcase, and nice little crab too (Leucosiidae - probably Myra genus).

Coco

----------------------

Un Greg...