I Found This Last Week And Would Like To Know What It Is?

ParkerA

I have a smaller piece almost exactly like that one that I found as a kid and I've never thrown it out. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I hope ParkerA was not scared away by Inyo (which is where he can put his comments) and will share anything else he finds with us. I for one am happy to see them!

If you believe everything you read, perhaps it's time for you to stop reading...

Thank you Brock (and others). I usually stay out of this kind of discussion, but I can't stand to watch someone berate (and discourage) a new collector's finds. Lighten up Inyo, don't be a "fossil snob"! We are not all fortunate enough to live close to perfect fossils.

ParkerA, sometimes newbies ask me, "Is this a good fossil?" or "Is this any good?" I say if you like it, then it is a good one, keep it. It's what I do. I don't care if anyone else likes it. If you find a better one later and decide to pass that one on to someone else (or horde it :P ) then so be it. None of anyone else's business. A lot of amateurs on here with a few pros scattered about. Most of us are friendly, willing to help and are here to enjoy ourselves, share our finds, and learn something new. Keep at it.

If I threw out all of my poorly preserved Texas Cretaceous fossils, then I wouldn't have very many left. Not all of us are lucky enough to find museum quality specimens. There are plenty of beginners, children, etc, that are grateful to have that crappy looking heart urchin that I donated to our tiny, little, Houston museum (at their request).

As far as respect, I personally know JohnJ and silverphoenix. Both are worthy of respect.

Dictator Auspex :P , I second the Toodles! :P

Where's Harry when you need him? :P Some people just don't know how to argue.

Something smells fishy about this whole thing. Perhaps something rotting in Denmark?

Something smells fishy about this whole thing. Perhaps something rotting in Denmark?

yeah! wait - still? it's been like 400 years since shakespeare noticed that...hey! is that a pinhole camera in the wall over there!? oh hahahahahah! ya'll! we're on "crinoid camera!" hahahahah! :P :P :P :P :P

yeah! wait - still? it's been like 400 years since shakespeare noticed that...hey! is that a pinhole camera in the wall over there!? oh hahahahahah! ya'll! we're on "crinoid camera!" hahahahah! :P :P :P :P :P

:D

In my almost 40 years of experience, I have found that self-proclomations of greatness, most often are a sure sign of just the opposite. (I.E. expert calling newbie owning junk sounds like he's 15 and has bought fakes off ebay). Anyway, my first fossil of sorts, is water ripple marks in red shale, and is still my prize decoration on my wall. From your picture, the crinoid stems appear to be replaced by quartz? Even if it wasn't a fossil(which it is), it is an awesome example of Geological display.

With rocks in my head, and fossils in my heart....

Is INYO really gone? WAHOO!

Heh, sorry, he has been slowly pissing me off for days.

I am a fossil hoarder and proud of it!

-PzF

I love fossils and am a fossil hoarder also. I don't think i own a single important fossil. I't for fun anyway...well, unless your Jack Horner, then your having fun AND making loads of cash. Yeah, anyone proclaiming their greatness is suspect. Crinoids are awesome! Thats what i like about this forum, MOST everyone is an amateur like me who loves collecting fossils. And then we have someone like Tracer who is HILARIOUS. Good man!

"And then we have someone like Tracer who is HILARIOUS."

sir, that comment was desperately and irrevocably uncalled for as i have done nothing whatsoever to warrant being referred to as resembling mrs. clinton. :faint:

"And then we have someone like Tracer who is HILARIOUS."

sir, that comment was desperately and irrevocably uncalled for as i have done nothing whatsoever to warrant being referred to as resembling mrs. clinton. :faint:

:P

-----"Your Texas Connection!"------

Fossils: Windows to the past

Fossil Snobbery..... I agree.... and stand by John & Mike..... although we all have off days.... so dont take it all to heart....

Course i was 'Jammy'..... in my first find..... Id struggle buying one lol..... ;)

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

Not that there's anything wrong with ebay. I bought a fish from china, and it's facke or badly repaired but it's awesome! Looks nice on the wall.

With rocks in my head, and fossils in my heart....