Animal/bird Dropping?

Mattison

hmmm, pretty interesting. the first thing that comes to mind is fusulinids, but i personally am not familiar enough with such things to say. two things that would help is if you would put something, like a coin, next to your fossil in your pictures so we can see size reference. also, if you can state what county of what state something is found in, it can help with id from those here who know the strata.

we'll see what others say. this one is pretty interesting, at least to me.

OK, I will get new pics. This was found just SE of St. Johns Arizona.....Oh, and, thank you very much!

Here are a few new pics. hope I didn't put 2 of the same pic. :faint: I have 54 acres with the Little Coloradr River winding through, no telling what might be out there.

post-1836-1245980674_thumb.jpg

post-1836-1245980821_thumb.jpg

post-1836-1245980870_thumb.jpg

arizona fossil sites

um, apparently you're somewhere near the center of the fossil universe. i have to take a break because i'm afraid i'll short out my computer from drooling over the coolness.

on time years ago i made the mistake of passing through that area and have wanted to live there ever since.

May be herbivore coprolite. It's definitely something, but what, I can't say with certainty.

OK, have land for sale if you want to move here :D

i'd probably go for it but my family might desert me. they seem to require nearby malls.

Tracer,

That is an awesome site...

If that doesn't pass the "fossil collecting bug" to my nephew in Phoenix, nothing will.

Can't wait to go down and visit AZ now (as I wipe the drool off my keyboard).

- Brad

Use as a vacation spot, there are a lot of people that own 36 plus acres up here that don't live here full time.

It could be two things:

-If its Caenozoic material:(Eocene) Nummulite stuff-This were the biggest foramminifera that have lived in earth, or it could be somekind of Alveolina;

-If it is TRIASSIC: But only if it is marine stuff- Fusilinid foramminifera became extinct in Permian age, so it could be transported from other site;

I can`t tell you from the pic; the sample is very eroded by the river. Try to look this link:FUSILINID;

and this one:A study of the importance of foramms!

Enjoy it! ;)

Well, looking at it one can tell there has been quite a bit of erosion to it but from wind or water I can't tell. Are you finding them near the riverbed or up on the flats or hills? Have you found lots of the same stuff over a broad area or very localized?

If it's from a river bed then it's probably transported in from another area and could be Fusilinds from Permian rocks. Another idea would be coral fragments, but I can't see any internal structures to verify that idea. Lastly, it could be a rock of volcanic origin (which Arizona has plenty of) or a conglomerate piece of some sort.

Wish I had time to spend a week or two exploring your area... ahhh.. fossil nirvana. :)

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Looks like fusilinids to me. Here are some Pennsylvanian ones from the Brownwood, Texas area (look for the rice crispies).

post-534-1246038810_thumb.jpg

Thank you all for looking and letting me know what you think (even the Rice Crispies!)

This is the only one I have found so far. The Little Colorado River winds through my 54 acre lot but humans had damed it years back so it does not flow as it used to. Now it looks more like a stream but by damming it, it has exposed a lot of the River wall rocks and may make for great fossil hunting. I have found rocks here with common sea shelled creatures in them. There is high and low ground and I found this on one of my many rock/fossil finding walks....I have been carring this around for about 9-10 years along with the other item I had posted to find out what IT may be.

I do not go out much anymore as I don't tan, I BURN in the sun...that is why I am going to sell or trade all or most of my land out here and look at moving to SW Oregon....I hear they get a bit of rain and fog out there... lol. There is all kinds of petrified wood out here and many hiils carved out by past water flow. You can look at some of the rocks out here and see how the water had once rushed through this area. Some of the rocks on the higher ground sparkle in the sun. I have included some pictures of the area for every one. You can the red clay coloring in the water, this clay is common here and god only knows what lies beneith. The last picture is a few miles from the River and has more of a White soil in the small mountain and a clay type below.

Thanks again!

post-1836-1246041590_thumb.jpg

post-1836-1246041625.jpg

post-1836-1246041649.jpg

post-1836-1246042002.jpg

post-1836-1246042746_thumb.jpg

I'd say fusnellids as well. I'm originally from Holbrook AZ. Paleozoic fossils are actually fairly common on the Colorado Plateau. They erode out of the Shinarump conglomerate, a thin generally yellowish conglomerate sandwiched in-between the Triassic Moenkopi, and Chinle formations.

Walt

• 2 weeks later...

Yes,I think are Fusulinids (Fusulinidae) foraminifers from lower Carboniferous to upper Permian,they exist 6000 species and 150 genus ... if you have find these in the Triassic layers,are sediments from the Paleozoic eroded,transported and sedimented in the Triassic.The Fusulinid are good fossil guide!

Thanks for showing,

Red

->>>>> :)<

Permian fusulinds from a roadcut near Cloudcroft, New Mexico...

in the fourth pic a cross-section can be seen.

P1010001.jpg

P1010002.jpg

P1010003.jpg

P1010004.jpg

"don’t you lock up something that you wanted to see fly..." chris cornell / soundgarden

more...

P1010005.jpg

P1010006.jpg

"don’t you lock up something that you wanted to see fly..." chris cornell / soundgarden

Nice area and good fossils out there in St. Johns. I used to work in Alpine for a while, so I am somewhat familiar with the area. I try and get out that way, somewhere in the Painted Desert, once or twice a year. Not too hard just living 3 hours away or so.