This Fossil Will Be A Fungi To Id.

jeepinthemud

Hello!

So I know how rare / unlikely it is to find a fossil of a mushroom... but when I saw this, I could not put any other name to it...

It has the gills (and subgills) of an Amanitaceae (gilled) mushroom..

It doesnt glow under a black light. Haha. Its not limestone, but it almost looks like a type of silica...

Sadly, I do not know where it came from, originated, etc...

it was found in "Grandma's box of rocks" ... and this Grandma was a world traveler. (Im so helpful!)

Thanks for any help / input!

post-1824-1245982703_thumb.jpgpost-1824-1245982723_thumb.jpg

post-1824-1245982739_thumb.jpgpost-1824-1245982757_thumb.jpg

post-1824-1245982766_thumb.jpg

"To do is to be." -Socrates

"People are Stupid." -Wizard's First Rule

"Happiness is a warm Jeep." -Auspex

coral

I was considering that... any specific type?

yeah I have one of those corals myself--can't remember the name either, but my mom got it in one of those seashell shops about 10 years ago and we still have it.

coral I have several can not remember the name will go look and post later.

Galveston Island 32 miles long 2 miles wide 134 bars 23 liquor stores any questions?

Evolution is Chimp Change.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain!

"I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen." Ernest Hemingway

Jeepinthemud,

It is a Scleractinian coral and the Genus is Cyclolites. They were a large solitary corallite. They were found in Cretaceous deposits but I don't know their geologic time range. Your specimen resembles Cyclolites ellipticus Lamarck. I have one in my collection and it came from Spain.

The Eocene is my favorite

I agree with coral, but disagree with Cyclolytes. I have some specimens of it, but doesn`t look like it. It resembles me to the actual FUNGIA one.

It seems rather "non-fossil".Nice specimen though!

This link talks about marine aquarium, but tells how to reproduce a Fungia coral. The similarity with your "fossil" is very big.HOW TO REPRODUCE A FUNGIA CORAL

Enjoy it!

I agree with coral, but disagree with Cyclolytes. I have some specimens of it, but doesn`t look like it. It resembles me to the actual FUNGIA one.

It seems rather "non-fossil".Nice specimen though!

This link talks about marine aquarium, but tells how to reproduce a Fungia coral. The similarity with your "fossil" is very big.HOW TO REPRODUCE A FUNGIA CORAL

Enjoy it!

I can't disagree, A little further research and I found that Cyclolites is in the Family Fungiidae and further Cyclolites has been relegated to specie replaced by the Genus name Fungia. So now it would be Fungia cyclolites.

JKFoam

The Eocene is my favorite

The ones in my collection I got mark Mushroom coral ??? which means I never looked it up. The shell shops do have a lot of it for sale around here.

Galveston Island 32 miles long 2 miles wide 134 bars 23 liquor stores any questions?

Evolution is Chimp Change.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain!

"I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen." Ernest Hemingway

Alrighty! thanks for all your help!

(I knew it was 'too good to be true'!)