What Camera Do You Use?

Haddy

I have a great little water-proof digital camera that I take everywhere with me. It's a Pentax Optio waterproof camera. Takes pretty good photos and I can take it anywhere. However, it's not great on detail, close-ups or distance shots, so I'm thinking of getting a DSLR. My old film cameras were Nikons and I love the quality photos they took. I'm thinking about a Nikon D-60 but am not sure if I want to go that route with all the lenses (I have tons of old film lenses that were a pain to lug around) or a little smaller camera that is good for close-ups and wildlife. I've seen some nice photos on this site. So, I'm interested in what cameras you use / would recommend. Thanks!

I have a Canon XTI and primarily use a Tamron 28-70/2.5. I want to add a good macro lens, but the Tamron does alright as long as its not too small an object.

I imagine that there are a number of non DSLR cameras thought that will do what you want.

Brent Ashcraft

ashcraft, brent allen

I have a Pentax KD100

All my old lens fit it,

when I upgrade I will stay with Pentax

I used to be an "old school" film photographer (Canon EOS Rebel G) but had been using my work camera (digital) Nikon Coolpix 5600 for all around usage for about 4 years now. My old Nikon recently broke while on a job in Fort Worth and ended up swinging by Best Buy and bought the most recent version Coolpix L20 for under two clams.

It takes excellent pictures but I've found the older version took closer macros. I'm debating on getting a digital SLR body and use my old lenses because there is no comparison with using the lens in a macro / manual setting verses the Coolpix macro / automatic settings. However, a SLR would be more bulkier lugging the gear / lenses all around.

For the price, you can't beat the Coolpix (or comparable) for all around pictures / usage anywhere / very compact and can easily be protected with a zip lock and be carried with your fossil gear.

plus it help to have a version of Photoshop to edit your photos ;)

some from both of the Nikons...

- Brad

post-986-1246048000_thumb.jpg

post-986-1246048009_thumb.jpg

post-986-1246048025_thumb.jpg

post-986-1246048034_thumb.jpg

post-986-1246048050_thumb.jpg

post-986-1246048060_thumb.jpg

post-986-1246048069_thumb.jpg

post-986-1246048078_thumb.jpg

I use a couple: a Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ1 and an old Nikon 3800 SLR. The Nikon stays at home, the lumix comes with me.

I'm looking into a new Nikon Coolpix, a dandy little camera they are!

- to be able to lead, you must first refuse to follow

- is that a rock hammer in your pocket, or are you just that happy to see me?

- where are all the unicorn fossils? that stupid troll lied to me!

PS, my avatar is Galeodes arabs, the largest species of solifugid. this one is a baby.....

hmmm, how'd you get the lagarto to sit stillo to take a foto?

i saw an ad in the paper today for a local big box place selling a 10-megapixel canon dslr-looking thing for like $350. it is quite possible that at some point in the future i will actually be taking quality pictures. might be after tj moves out in ten or fifteen years, but still...

brad - i raced out to a best buy close to me with some clams and they refused to take them. i told them "but, BRAD said!" and they said that was an exclusive deal for you and you weren't supposed to talk about it.

I used to be an "old school" film photographer (Canon EOS Rebel G) but had been using my work camera (digital) Nikon Coolpix 5600 for all around usage for about 4 years now. My old Nikon recently broke while on a job in Fort Worth and ended up swinging by Best Buy and bought the most recent version Coolpix L20 for under two clams.

It takes excellent pictures but I've found the older version took closer macros. I'm debating on getting a digital SLR body and use my old lenses because there is no comparison with using the lens in a macro / manual setting verses the Coolpix macro / automatic settings. However, a SLR would be more bulkier lugging the gear / lenses all around.

For the price, you can't beat the Coolpix (or comparable) for all around pictures / usage anywhere / very compact and can easily be protected with a zip lock and be carried with your fossil gear.

plus it help to have a version of Photoshop to edit your photos ;)

some from both of the Nikons...

- Brad

Great shots! Most of my old film macro shots were underwater, a real challenge!

I've dragged my feet on the SLR due to not feeling like dragging the lenses around. I know a few folks with the Nikon D-series cameras and they take really nice shots, but they aren't wandering around in the woods and water like I am. A quality, more-compact camera would suit me better; hence, my questions.

My crappy camera is a Sony Cybershot 1.3 mega pixels. It was very very high quality when it was bought years upon years ago but now any old 50 dollar digital camera can do much better. My father refers to it as the piece of junk he spent so much money on that you now see in flee markets for under 50 bucks..

I have another camera but I can't find it to post the stats, so I will later.

I use an Pentax Optio S10. 10 megapixels. It has a macro and a super macro for those really up close shots. All of my photos I have posted on this site have been from this camera. It is small and has a long lasting lithium battery.

i was gonna take a picture of my camera and post it here, but then i thought, "hey, wait..."

i was gonna take a picture of my camera and post it here, but then i thought, "hey, wait..."

Pssst, mirror...

You're kind of like Wilson from Home Improvement, just not quite in the scene.

ashcraft, brent allen

I use a Nikon D-40 SLR and it seems to do fine. It has 6.1 megapixels.It came with two lenses an 18-55 and a 55-200 zoom. It is very easy to use in the automatic modes and has a 2.5 frames per second fire rate. The pictures it takes are pretty good in the automatic modes. I'm sure if you know your way around a DSLR camera you can get better pictures out of it. With my limited skills with a camera the auto settings make it easy.

post-417-1246072042_thumb.jpgpost-417-1246072091_thumb.jpg

You're kind of like Wilson from Home Improvement, just not quite in the scene.

I played with the brightrast and conightness...I thought he may have revealed his mug....

post-420-1246156024.jpg

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

I played with the brightrast and conightness...I thought he may have revealed his mug....

post-420-1246156024.jpg

He's....radiant!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

He's....radiant!

Yeah, I never realized he was so bright.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Ok, I'm calling Walleye or Sauger on the sixth pic! Can you say In Fisherman? Those Linders sure know how to fish!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

I always used a Nikon 35mm SLR and multiple lenses until it was lost overboard in a sailing accident, now I use a Cannon Powershot SX110 9.0 megapixel and am quite happy with it. I found that I don't need macro as much as I thought I would, I use the highest resolution and then crop like crazy to get what I want, and for the really intricate stuff - a scanner works better than most cameras.

I recently got a Polaroid i1032 with 10 megs and 12x zoom (3x optical and 4xdigital) but I'm disappointed on the closeups. I really had to played around with it to get the close up photos clear looking that I recently posted in hunting trips. Thanks for giving me some ideas for what my next camera will be...this one will be my anything camera and the next one will be for my fossiling finds.

I recently got a Polaroid i1032 with 10 megs and 12x zoom (3x optical and 4xdigital) but I'm disappointed on the closeups....

Set it on "Macro" (look for the tulip icon post-423-1246232580.jpg) and shoot with no zoom and plenty of light.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Somebody mentioned having photoshop...... I guess people are fine using whatever program suits them, but here's a free alternative to photoshop, and a bit easier to use:

google "GIMP", its an open source imaging program and the full version is 100% free to download. has pretty much the same bells and whistles....

- to be able to lead, you must first refuse to follow

- is that a rock hammer in your pocket, or are you just that happy to see me?

- where are all the unicorn fossils? that stupid troll lied to me!

PS, my avatar is Galeodes arabs, the largest species of solifugid. this one is a baby.....

I've been using a Canon Power Shot SX110 IS digital compact camera since about the beginning of the year. It has 10x optical zoom and a 9.0 mega pixel capability. It takes great macro shots, often without the need for flash. I am very happy with it so far. The only drawback with this one is that it is slightly larger (due to the 10x zoom) than the typical point-and-shoot digital cameras out there. I got from Best Buy but I think I could have saved maybe $50 if I purchased it online.

I often mess with my photos using Photoshop Elements (cropping, brightness, contrast, sharpness, etc.). I recommend using this program as it is more reasonably priced than regular Photoshop and you can do a great deal of things with it (much more than I would ever use it for).

post-1000-1246289029_thumb.jpg