What Camera Do You Use?

Haddy

I also have the Pentax Optio W10 and didn't think that I had any problems with macro work with it. A great website to review cameras is by Jeff Keller and is http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/cameraList.php Look for the first column DCRP review and read those reviews only.

I use a Canon 40D and have a 100mm 2.8 macro lens which is what the Nassarius in my avatar was taken with.

If you are even thinking of a DSLR they are not easily carried as they are bulky and heavy. At ~$450 is the Canon G10 which is quite a bit lighter and takes fantastic photos.

The newer lenses do tend to outshine the older film lenses but if you still have a macro lens for the Nikon that is the route you may want to try.

I like Canon

post-1509-1246387661_thumb.jpg

Kevin Goto, Lafayette,CA.

I used to be an "old school" film photographer (Canon EOS Rebel G) but had been using my work camera (digital) Nikon Coolpix 5600 for all around usage for about 4 years now. My old Nikon recently broke while on a job in Fort Worth and ended up swinging by Best Buy and bought the most recent version Coolpix L20 for under two clams.

It takes excellent pictures but I've found the older version took closer macros. I'm debating on getting a digital SLR body and use my old lenses because there is no comparison with using the lens in a macro / manual setting verses the Coolpix macro / automatic settings. However, a SLR would be more bulkier lugging the gear / lenses all around.

For the price, you can't beat the Coolpix (or comparable) for all around pictures / usage anywhere / very compact and can easily be protected with a zip lock and be carried with your fossil gear.

plus it help to have a version of Photoshop to edit your photos ;)

some from both of the Nikons...

- Brad

Would have been nice to include--instead of stock nature images--some photographs of actual fossils taken with your set-up.

http://inyo2.110mb.com/kh/pecten.html

A fossil pecten (scallop) Pecten coalingensis from the Pliocene San Joaquin Formation, Kettleman Hills, California.

I use a Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W125 7.2 MegaPixel camera with a 4x digital zoom. It's pretty much point and shoot. We got it because it seems to take pretty good macro pics and that's what we're into. You can see some pics that we've posted on the forum. I think we got it at Costco and paid under $200Cdn for it! :)

I use a Sony Cybershot DSC-F717. It has a decent Macro function and good color reproduction (That is important in another application my wife uses). It has a Carl Zeiss lens with a 6X zoom and additional 4X electronic zoom. The Zeiss lens is rather heavybut over all i am happy.

JKFoam

The Eocene is my favorite

I use a casio exilim with 8 megapixels and 10x zoom for all my regular pictures, including the tiny stuff that I've posted. Anything above 8 megapixels and with 10x zoom or more I think would work well on the tiny stuff--just depends on how tiny! :D

Stick with Canon and Nikon for their immense range of lenses.

I use a 30D and an XTi. An old XT is more than capable of producing amazing images and can be found used for cheap....spend your money on the lens, that's what really matters. For this stuff I usually use my canon 100 macro on a tripod, often with pocket wizard flash remotes.

"Nothing happens in contradiction to nature, only to what we know of it."

lol

I saw the photoshop comment and was gonna throw in my two cents that everyone should at least be aware of "The GIMP" - then I saw captain badlands beat me to it.

But I'll reiterate anyway, as I know that I've seen quite alot of folks who could benefit from having this software - GIMP (gimp.org) is basically photoshop, except it's opensource (which means it the code is open and free - and it is programmed by a community of programmers and constantly being updated).

As far as cameras, I absolutely love my Sony Cybershot DSC-H2. It has 12X optical zoom, great macro abilities, and other bells and whistles. It's not a DSLR, but it's about as close as you can get with a non-DSLR (or at least it was about 2 years ago). Sony's "SteadyShot" image stabilization capabilities are incredibly helpful when taking distance shots.

Someday I'll get a DSLR...

"The fact that we live at the bottom of a deep gravity well, on the surface of a gas covered planet going around a nuclear fireball 90 million miles away and think this to be normal is obviously some indication of how skewed our perspective tends to be. " - Douglas Adams