Bone

Richard

Back from all my traveling.

I took my 8 year old Grandson fishing on Lake Belton and took a break to walk along a shore line and he found this.

We think it might be a fish back bone and ribs.

Let me know what you think, and there's more to come.

Thanks Richard

post-1692-1246140143_thumb.jpg

post-1692-1246140165_thumb.jpg

I can see where one could think that, but I don't believe that's what it is. The "backbone" shows a distinct lack of vertebrae; indeed, it looks solid.

Unfortunately, this is where I reveal that I'm the type of person to shoot down a perfectly good idea without offering an alternative, because I haven't a clue what it is. :P

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I'm going to say a weathered ammonite or cephalopod fragment.

The "ribs" could actually be the walls of the hollowed chambers.

You know that piece reminds me of a partial Ammonite impression kinda like thispost-417-1246162398_thumb.jpg,but it looks a little different. It also looks like the same hard chalk matrix that comes out of the Kdc at the Denison Dam area of Texas where this impression came from.I'm anxious to find out for sure what it really is, as I'm sure you are!

Scallop fragment? Really not enough to tell.

-----"Your Texas Connection!"------

Fossils: Windows to the past

At first I was thinking plant fragment but after a closer look I think its a shell fragment.

Galveston Island 32 miles long 2 miles wide 134 bars 23 liquor stores any questions?

Evolution is Chimp Change.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain!

"I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen." Ernest Hemingway

Well... I think we can agree that this is invertebrate, and probably some sort of mollusc (unless it represents a brachiopod; my knowledge of paleozoic inverts is snarge, so don't yell if there's zero % chance of this being brachiopod).

Bobby

Thanks for replies, the lack of vertebrae makes a lot of since. Some times I get a little excited when I see something different.

Richard

Well... I think we can agree that this is invertebrate, and probably some sort of mollusc (unless it represents a brachiopod; my knowledge of paleozoic inverts is snarge, so don't yell if there's zero % chance of this being brachiopod).

Bobby

BOBBY! THERE'S ZERO PERCENT CHANCE OF THAT BEING A BRACHIOPOD!

and i don't think it's from an odontocete either, but i don't know anything about that so you'll have to ask bobby.