Differnt One

Rick B

• New Members

I found this in Northern Ohio in a shale river bed. It almost looks human then looks like a bird with a long spine. You can see the head and the left arm. Any ideas? Thanks,,Rick

012_-_Copy.JPG

First, welcome to the Forum :)

Secondly, assuming that's a toothpick and not a knitting needle, great job on the photo!

Thirdly, I can see the suggestion of bi-lateral symmetry, so it could have an organic origin, but nothing is ringing any bells for me ID-wise. <Anyone here know the age of N. Ohio shale?>

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

• New Members
First, welcome to the Forum :)

Secondly, assuming that's a toothpick and not a knitting needle, great job on the photo!

Thirdly, I can see the suggestion of bi-lateral symmetry, so it could have an organic origin, but nothing is ringing any bells for me ID-wise. <Anyone here know the age of N. Ohio shale?>

Thank you for the welcome. I wanted to say this river had a 100 foot bank but my wife didnt shoot any pictures of its height. She did take about 15 shots of me and the kids here and the fossil is in many of the pictures like here. I didnt see it until we were close to leaving. I starting thinking about fossils and only looked for about 30 seconds and there it was in front of me. That was neat. Rick

106_-_Copy.JPG

114_-_Copy.JPG

Age of the rock depends on location, anything from Pennsylvanian to Silurian in Northern Ohio, but Devonian is dominant. It almost looks like a Rusophycus or Trilobite burrow (trace fossil). Seems organic in origin but more likely than not is a trace fossil, IMHO.

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

"Rusophycus or Trilobite burrow"

It stuck me as very similar to those as well.

When I looked at it, the first two things I thought it looked like was a mini-human-bird.

Very interesting, even if it is just a trace fossil.

I would've certainly picked up it, too, good catch.

Though, I cannot help ID it, I think it looks like a vertebrae crustacean.... how unique! (like an underwater armadillo!) (Mother Nature does experiment with all sorts of interesting animals. Platypus, anyone?)

"To do is to be." -Socrates

"People are Stupid." -Wizard's First Rule

"Happiness is a warm Jeep." -Auspex

Paleozoic Jeep tracks? :P

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

It might be a burrow but I'm thinking there is also a molt (cast off) present there. It doesn't look TB to me. If that is a leg in the upper part of the photo I think it's too long for one.

I think I have to go with lordpiney and say its parts left over from a crustacean molt in a burrow.

Very neat find! :D

Here are a trilobite molt and a some trackways...

post-1313-1246210630_thumb.jpgpost-1313-1246210712_thumb.jpg

Be true to the reality you create.

Paleozoic Jeep tracks? :P

Well, that would certainly be interesting!

A mini human was driving a mini Jeep... then got stuck in the mud! uhoh!

Then there was a flash flood that covered this JeepInTheMud, so the poor little guy was nearly washed out and covered while lying next to the Jeep.

The jeep however, was not fossilized due to the soft-top-cover, but the tracks, along with the driver, remain!

And that, my friends... is not my story in the least bit.

"To do is to be." -Socrates

"People are Stupid." -Wizard's First Rule

"Happiness is a warm Jeep." -Auspex

Well, that would certainly be interesting!

A mini human was driving a mini Jeep... then got stuck in the mud! uhoh!

Then there was a flash flood that covered this JeepInTheMud, so the poor little guy was nearly washed out and covered while lying next to the Jeep.

The jeep however, was not fossilized due to the soft-top-cover, but the tracks, along with the driver, remain!

And that, my friends... is not my story in the least bit.

Man I thought I had a good week end but mini jeep tracks and small human remains very rare

Galveston Island 32 miles long 2 miles wide 134 bars 23 liquor stores any questions?

Evolution is Chimp Change.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain!

"I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen." Ernest Hemingway