Mineral Wells Trilo

NSRaddict_1

We went to the Mineral Wells Fossil Pit today and I found a nice Trilobite , but don't know the ID of the little bugger , can someone take a gander and see if they can ID ?

After seeing the pictures , it maybe very hard to ID , it is quite smashed , as with most Trilos from there , not whole and in bad shape .

Thanks

Picture here :post-707-1246161474_thumb.jpg

post-707-1246223777_thumb.jpg

Hunting fossils is fun , but discovering is better !

That's cool the cephalon looks kinda like a mad crab looking at you.I hope you get a positive ID. I did some hunting on the web and didn't find much. I did see something about Mineral Wells and a potential fossil park there.That would be nice :)

Yes, the Mineral Wells City Coucil offically approved the Mineral Wells Fossil SITE. It's up to the Park department now to fix it up some (new fencing etc). The Dallas Paleontological Society is also taking donations to help pay for improvements and make the SITE a reality. I have pledged $100 myself.

================================

From Lee Higginbotham:

" For those who would like to support this project and did not pledge previously, here is your opportunity to help get this park open as soon as possible.

Dallas Paleo is asking for donations for the Mineral Wells Fossil site.

On June 16th the City of Mineral Wells approved the site to be developed for public fossil collecting. The City's new budget year for funds for this project is Oct. 1. DPS has pledged to help raise money for this public fossil collecting site, and the sooner we raise our share or more, the sooner this site can become a reality for the families and children of Texas and for all of us.

To make a donation, either mail a check made out to Dallas Paleo to

Dallas Paleontological Society

P.O. Box 223846

Dallas , Texas 75222-3846

or go to www.dallaspaleo.org and click on the PayPal icon and you can donate by credit card. Feel free to donate generously because this "park" will become a place where kids will touch geology and paleontology with their own hands and where their minds may first be opened up to science and all of its possibilities.

This may be our one chance in a lifetime to influence a gazillion young minds about the joy of science and paleontology. Thank you for your support!

Remember that Dallas Paleo is a charitable contribution as the organization is a 501©3.

If you know anyone else that would like to help make a difference for science and paleontology, please forward this donation request. The more we raise, the more education we can do for this "park."

Below is a link to the Mineral Wells Index newspaper story regarding the approval by the City Council.

http://www.mineralwellsindex.com/archivese..._169094309.html

You can also join the 92 strong facebook fan group for Mineral Wells Fossil Park by going to http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/group.p...9008&ref=mf

Thank you for your generosity and for your support for this unique Texas public fossil hunting site!!

Lee Higginbotham

Dallas Paleontological Society

I'm thinking this would be a great place for kids to learn about fossils.

That's all Pennsylvanian out there right?

99% sure it is a Cordania Falcata .

OK, given the time period (late Pennsylvanian) that would limit the order to Proetida, specifically the superfamily Phillipsiidae which is the narrower trilo, other is wide bodied.

The bulbous part between the eyes does not SEEM to extend to the edge of the head (cephalon) like a Ditomopyge UNLESS the cephalon is just flattened (as you said) and it folded along that "edge" (blue line on pic) in that case it maybe a Ditomopyge.

The old geologic sources for the region mention "Phillipsia major", "Phillipsia", and "Griffithides", "Griffithides scitulus" trilobites. Finsley's book mentions "Ditomopyge scitula", "Amerura major", and "Paldin morrowensis", all of Pennsylvanian age and from the region. I bet some of these older/newer names are synonyms though.

post-11-1246240976_thumb.jpg

Here's a scan from "Fauna of the Wewoka Formation of Oklahoma" which is of similar age.

post-11-1246241914_thumb.jpg

Ditomopyge is likely it , when observed through a loupe it appears to have the ridge or edge you speak of .

After doing some more looking I believe it to be a Paladin (but aren't they Mississippian ?) , to quote Lance "The bulbous part between the eyes does not SEEM to extend to the edge of the head ."

post-707-1246327186_thumb.jpg

Ditomopyge is likely it , when observed through a loupe it appears to have the ridge or edge you speak of .

After doing some more looking I believe it to be a Paladin (but aren't they Mississippian ?) , to quote Lance "The bulbous part between the eyes does not SEEM to extend to the edge of the head ."

I was born and raised in Mineral Wells and never knew those little guys were out there. That is the same area I found the egg like pieces with holes drilled in the ends. Along side the road. (22nd)

I was born and raised in Mineral Wells and never knew those little guys were out there. That is the same area I found the egg like pieces with holes drilled in the ends. Along side the road. (22nd)

jojo , do you happen to have any pictures of the specimen you speak of , would love to see .

jojo , do you happen to have any pictures of the specimen you speak of , would love to see .

Yes. Here they are? When do yall go digging out there? Would love to get in with a group and hunt.

post-1726-1247157484_thumb.jpg

post-1726-1247157502_thumb.jpg

post-1726-1247157512_thumb.jpg

post-1726-1247157522_thumb.jpg

post-1726-1247157538_thumb.jpg