Need Help! Sites In Va Please :d

Phoenixflood

Hi all,

I'm taking a trip soon and was hoping to get some fossiling in while I was down in VA. I was wondering if anyone knew of any good areas near Virginia beach or in the surrounding areas. I have been to Chippokes State park before and Indian field creek and was wondering if I missed any other places.

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

Hi all,

I'm taking a trip soon and was hoping to get some fossiling in while I was down in VA. I was wondering if anyone knew of any good areas near Virginia beach or in the surrounding areas. I have been to Chippokes State park before and Indian field creek and was wondering if I missed any other places.

Hey Phoenixflood, I've heard that the Potomac River was good for finding shark teeth. As far as Virginia Beach itself, I've never stumbled upon any shark teeth during the 10 years I lived in VA and visited that beach. But then again I wasn't looking very hard, doh!

You may also want to check out Westmoreland State Park. They say on their website that fossils can be found (http://www.dcr.virginia.gov/state_parks/wes.shtml).

Good luck and let me know if you find anything! I grew up in Virginia and I'm curious to see if I had been missing out on some major fossil hunting.

Okay I just searched a little more and found this website that lists a ton of fossil sites: http://donaldkenney.110mb.com/STATES/VA.HTM

They are a bit vague but I hope it will help you.

bug.gif

Sadly to say, you can't hunt the whole length of the beach at Westmoreland anymore. They closed it off. It was a great place but thank you for the info.

Thanks :D I will have to check some of those other sites :)

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.