What The Heck Fire? - Oh!

tracer

thought i'd throw up (that didn't sound good) some info regarding a subject which has caused confustion on occasional numerouses for people here. the first time (ever i saw your flack - no wait) i ever saw one of these things, it was white and worn and i thought it was some kind of coral. took me a while to ask around and find out what it actually was. since then, on the board here, there's been a few times when i've seem these or something similar posted as a "whatzit", so thought maybe some examples would be good.

what am i talking about? why don't i get to the point? folks, how long does it take for you to figure out that tracer has a different wiring harness? ok, anyway, drumfish pharyngeal toothed grinding plates. Ever chew with your throat? Well, they do. Crunching up all them good old shelled seafoods.

so anyway, where are the pictures? oh, haven't posted them yet. yeah, so suffer through the narrative. what's interesting about these plates is that the tooths (yeah i know) are usually gone from being all discombobulated in the cruel environment, but the ones i'm posting have a few teeth still in them which were growing up from down below - they pop up through the plate after one is lost. also, you'll note that on one of the plates the teeth hadn't turned black from mineralization yet, but on the others they had. anyway, drumroll please (get it?)...here's the pics.

post-488-1246224649_thumb.jpg

post-488-1246224659_thumb.jpg

post-488-1246224669_thumb.jpg

of course, on this one, it's a side view of where the half-plate joined to the other half plate, and you can see the roots of the teeth which were ready to break up through the socket and become the new teeth, and you can somewhat see the black part where the domed "cap" of the tooth is.

ok, so anyway, you successfully suffered through another tracer trance-inducer, which puts you always one step closer to getting that "i survived" t-shirt. congrats.

I've never seen it from that perspective.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Interesting tracer, I made it through, do I get the shirt now? :P

um, let me see how to phrase this - NO!

i said you're "one step closer", but due to concern over commercial entities becoming involved, we don't publicize how many steps it takes to get to t-shirt nirvana. but there's the distinct possibility that it's math-uh-matically impossible to get there, just as one cannot math-uh-matically jump off a building and hurt oneself.

what?! you say (topic title in play here).

well, think about it - before you fall half the way, you have to fall a quarter of the way, not true? and before you fall a quarter of the way, you have to fall an eighth of the way? and so on and so on ad nauseum, because numbers are more or less infinitely divisible as far as we know. so when you're a billionth of an inch from the ground, you still have to fall a HALF-billionth of an inch to get halfway there. (pssst. anybody - has she forgotten about the freakin' t-shirt yet?)

you'll never be hurt reading my posts. it's math-uh-matically impossible.

Interesting tracer, I made it through, do I get the shirt now? :P

Momma, I've seen the shirt, and you might want to...reconsider.

It has a cartoon caricature of a drumfish wearing sunglasses; beneath that is the phrase "Gargles with Bivalves". Oh, and it only comes in flourescent puce. :o

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

thought i'd throw up (that didn't sound good) some info regarding a subject which has caused confustion on occasional numerouses for people here. the first time (ever i saw your flack - no wait) i ever saw one of these things, it was white and worn and i thought it was some kind of coral. took me a while to ask around and find out what it actually was. since then, on the board here, there's been a few times when i've seem these or something similar posted as a "whatzit", so thought maybe some examples would be good.

what am i talking about? why don't i get to the point? folks, how long does it take for you to figure out that tracer has a different wiring harness? ok, anyway, drumfish pharyngeal toothed grinding plates. Ever chew with your throat? Well, they do. Crunching up all them good old shelled seafoods.

so anyway, where are the pictures? oh, haven't posted them yet. yeah, so suffer through the narrative. what's interesting about these plates is that the tooths (yeah i know) are usually gone from being all discombobulated in the cruel environment, but the ones i'm posting have a few teeth still in them which were growing up from down below - they pop up through the plate after one is lost. also, you'll note that on one of the plates the teeth hadn't turned black from mineralization yet, but on the others they had. anyway, drumroll please (get it?)...here's the pics.

post-488-1246224649_thumb.jpg

post-488-1246224659_thumb.jpg

post-488-1246224669_thumb.jpg

of course, on this one, it's a side view of where the half-plate joined to the other half plate, and you can see the roots of the teeth which were ready to break up through the socket and become the new teeth, and you can somewhat see the black part where the domed "cap" of the tooth is.

ok, so anyway, you successfully suffered through another tracer trance-inducer, which puts you always one step closer to getting that "i survived" t-shirt. congrats.

I'm sorry, Taccer, I wasn't paying attention. Would you repeat that?

-----"Your Texas Connection!"------

Fossils: Windows to the past

I'm just going to smile and nod... and hope that it sinks in at some point.

But of course, the drum has the beat. Without the teeth, the throat would be holey. With a holey throat, the only thing it could swallow would be anything larger than a missing tooth! Whats bigger than a missing tooth? Two missing teeth, of course. But assuming there are no teeth available, then the drum cannot eat something too hard, which would mean the only thing left for a drum to eat would be a bass.

And about those tracer Tshirts, I seem to have misplaced my PangaeaExpress card, so I will have to put it on my Bill-ion year old card.

"To do is to be." -Socrates

"People are Stupid." -Wizard's First Rule

"Happiness is a warm Jeep." -Auspex

what?! you say (topic title in play here).

that topic title just bout sums it up with my reaction to reading this thread

What is a drum?

It's a hollow log with animal skin stretched over each end. You beat on it with a stick & It makes a boom, boom sound. It is quite annoying.

I ate a drum today!!! :D Oh hey I still have the head in my freezer--shall I take some pics of the teeth??? :blink:

pogonias cromis or sciaenops ocellatus

Like the one I'm holding in my avatar pic? B)

What is geology? "Rocks for Jocks!"

well, i had thought it was a strange question coming from you, but you didn't throw up any emoticons or anything and i just wanted to make sure - so i played it straight. but i'll probably give you a little zing about six months from now when i'm sure you've forgotten about this little incident and you accidently hang a straight line out there while i'm sittin' dead red on it. ;)

Owen, quit fishin' in the tub...it's not sporting. B)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Yep, that's another type of drum. Not so noisy. :rolleyes:

Yep, that's another type of drum. Not so noisy. :rolleyes:

Well they do make some noise--some sort of croaking sound really--quite odd...

Well they do make some noise--some sort of croaking sound really--quite odd...

I didn't hear anything, but that's the problem with fishing with dynamite...

Doh! Just hit the DHS cyber scans again... :P

What is geology? "Rocks for Jocks!"

I had to read it again 5 times before it sank in that it was a pharyngeal tooth thingie.

And then my ears started bleeding...

fsm1.jpg