Vert Questions

Haddy

So I stumbled over this yesterday in MD while shark tooth hunting. I brought it home as is and soaked it in fresh water.

What is it, and what should I do with it? The matrix is hard; I know that I could remove it, but I think it looks pretty interesting the way it is. Since it's not crumbly or anything, it seems to be pretty stable. Should I put anything on it? Thanks for your ideas!

post-1782-1246241715_thumb.jpg

post-1782-1246241751_thumb.jpg

post-1782-1246241824_thumb.jpg

I think it's a porpoise vert or small whale. Either way I'd keep it as it is. Matrix pieces are always nice :D

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

i think it's really cool as it is and definitely wouldn't separate it from the matrix. i would keep soaking it for a few weeks, changing the water frequently. the goal is to get as much salt out as possible. depending on the microstructure of stuff, salt crystallizing and remaining in it can be a problem over time, especially since salt is hygroscopic. it's presence can end up resulting in mechanical damage to some stuff.

at any rate, once you figure you've got as much salt as possible out of it, you could take it through some drying baths of alcohol and when it's totally dry maybe put some vinac or butvar on it. a lot depends on how cool it is to you and how much trouble you want to go to ensuring its long-term preservation.

but i like it.

It does look like a porpoise vert--and the matrix almost looks like coprolite, but I doubt it. Very cool piece--I think it is best to leave it as it is.

I personally think it would look better without it.

Please send the vert to me with a tube of "super glue", my external shell mold didn't come with a bone :P

....seriously, that is a very cool matrix piece. Leave it as is.

post-986-1246244163_thumb.jpg

In matrix = really cool (dime-a-dozen out of matrix).

After you get it clean and dry, if you don't want to futz with vinac, you could give it a diluted Future Floor Polish soak.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

In matrix = really cool (dime-a-dozen out of matrix).

After you get it clean and dry, if you don't want to futz with vinac, you could give it a diluted Future Floor Polish soak.

I agree to both! :)