Fish Fossil Nodule

Fossiltobe

Hello,

I am researching a fossil that I have recently acquired and I have discovered that it is nearly impossible. I would appreciate any assistance in identifying it. I bought it at a general store (dirt cheap) and what intrigued me as much as the fossil itself was the tiny, tiny notes that were printed on it. It looks like it could be from the Santana Formation because the surrounding material looks similar to fossils from that site. But the fish looks like it could be a Bishofia and I'm not sure if Bishofia can be from Brazil. Thank you.

ef3e_3.JPG

a849_3.JPG

987d_3.JPG

5018_3.JPG

26fb_3.JPG

fec4_3.JPG

ea13_3.JPG

deae_3.JPG

We need pictures in order to help you :D

Yeah, those huge files are brutal, and I have high-speed! :o

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Ok...I researched Bishofia on line and could only find references to specimens from Siberia. There is no mention I can find in Maisey's SANTANA FOSSILS. If that nodule is Brazilian, then it might be Tharrhias.

post-1313-1246293948_thumb.jpg

Be true to the reality you create.

That's a lovely fish, 3D fish fossils have always captured my interest. Although I have no idea about how to I identify it.

Is that fossil coated with something? It's very difficult for me to get a handle on what the matrix looks like--most of the specimens from the Santana Fm. have a distinct gray matrix. The outside of the nodule looks like it would fit, but the inside matters most. I'm not for sure about the fish species myself.

We need pictures in order to help you :D

I apparently inserted pics that are too large. Are you aware of a slick way to shrink them here or do I need to reload? Thanks.

I apparently inserted pics that are too large. Are you aware of a slick way to shrink them here or do I need to reload? Thanks.

Get a free account with photobucket, upload them to there, and then paste the [img} links--that will easily solve the issue...or should anyways.

that's not really the issue, in that the pictures are already uploaded elsewhere and linked to here.

fossiltobe - if the below picture is of sufficient resolution for you, i'll capture and redo the other couple of fish-side pictures of the nodule and delete all your links and edit the pictures into your post. alternatively, you can resize your original pics to something on the order of 1000 pixels in the largest dimension, and then upload the pics to here. you're limited to a 2 meg total for each post here, but the advantage is that there won't ever be broken links, and those with slower connections can view the pics better.

let me know if you want me to help with the edit, but below is as good as it gets without the originals to work from.

post-488-1246314745_thumb.jpg

Ok...I researched Bishofia on line and could only find references to specimens from Siberia. There is no mention I can find in Maisey's SANTANA FOSSILS. If that nodule is Brazilian, then it might be Tharrhias.

post-1313-1246293948_thumb.jpg

Thanks Frank,

Tharrhias looks possible, EXCELLENT. I contacted the General Store I bought from and they said it was part of a collection belonging to a "Very, very wealthy Santa Paula, Ca. Family" and supposedly the fossil was found around 1900. I have my work cut out for me, that's for sure. Thanks for your help. Rob

that's not really the issue, in that the pictures are already uploaded elsewhere and linked to here.

fossiltobe - if the below picture is of sufficient resolution for you, i'll capture and redo the other couple of fish-side pictures of the nodule and delete all your links and edit the pictures into your post. alternatively, you can resize your original pics to something on the order of 1000 pixels in the largest dimension, and then upload the pics to here. you're limited to a 2 meg total for each post here, but the advantage is that there won't ever be broken links, and those with slower connections can view the pics better.

let me know if you want me to help with the edit, but below is as good as it gets without the originals to work from.

post-488-1246314745_thumb.jpg

Tracer, Thank you. I made them smaller.