Pachyrhizodus?

JohnJ

What's 100+ degrees?..anytime past noon this time of year in Texas...an inconvenience for sure. The sweat in my eyes was blurring this find in my peripheral vision. Coming into focus, it was a nice surprise. Found in the debris of the Eagle Ford Formation, it possesses similarity to the fish, Pachyrhizodus. But I'm not sure...any thoughts?

post-420-1246298149_thumb.jpg

post-420-1246298176_thumb.jpg

post-420-1246298202_thumb.jpg

post-420-1246298220_thumb.jpg

post-420-1246298564_thumb.jpg

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

i couldn't take myself seriously if my name was "pachyrhizodus". but it would be kinda fun to have somebody ask me what i did this weekend and tell 'em, "well, i found a turonian jaw fragment".

fair to middlin' photography there too, macro man.

I like that jaw. I think Eagle Ford is a generous formation for the

most part.

Welcome to the forum!

Those teeth on Dan's page look a lot like Saurodon to me. Dan, have you had them ID'd yet?

And John, I think your correct on your jaw. (I like them, they look like little mosasaur teeth)

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

Thanks for the confirmation, X-man and Ramo. I know you guys have seen a few fish.... Without rain to wash out large vertebrate finds, I like to find new dimensions to sites that are still producing finds. (Lemons and lemonade) This Ptychodus (occidentalis ?) came from nearby.

post-420-1246337834_thumb.jpgpost-420-1246337858_thumb.jpg

I think you're right about Dan's looking like Saurodon.

I agree Dan's is not Pachy. Either Saurodon or Protosphyreana. (I'm leaning towards Protosphyreana)

I agree Dan's is not Pachy. Either Saurodon or Protosphyreana. (I'm leaning towards Protosphyreana)

Lol. I guess I didn't read or look close enough. I'm not even positive that's Dan's page, I just saw something about meander. :)

Yeah, it's one of Dan's early reports. It's a tough call on his fossil as the X-man alluded to.

momma, the Ptychodus tooth is a little beauty...I'm not sure if it is P. occidentalis or polygyrus. They seem to be the only ones that fit the shape and time frame.

(More lemonade...) I've been trying to make the most of my old 4 meg Kodak EasyShare. In macro mode, I physically hold a simple cone shaped 10X loupe in front of the lens to increase the subject magnification. Your depth of field is extremely small, but when it works the detail can be amazing. (Just another tip I learned on the Forum.)