Rammenessin Hunt With Shamalama And Pitviper...

lordpiney

met up with dave, and brian (shamalama and pitviper) yesterday morning for some cretaceous creek hunting. had a great time with a couple new friends, and found some good fossils to boot. we hit rammenessin pretty hard, stopping at every gravel bar along the way. my back and knees are still pretty sore! lol. it was awesome meeting you both, and i cant wait to do it again. here's what i brought home...

DSC01795.jpg

DSC01797.jpg

DSC01796.jpg

DSC01799.jpg

two small mosasaur teeth.

DSC01790.jpg

decent enchodus, and my largest squalacorax to date.

DSC01792.jpg

ammonite section.

DSC01786.jpg

nice little knife.

DSC01789.jpg

sawfish rostrum, and chunk of bone.

DSC01783.jpg

i dont usually save them, but it's a perfect exogyra so why not. lol.

That's a Mac Daddy Enchodus tooth; are you sure that's what it is?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

That's a Mac Daddy Enchodus tooth; are you sure that's what it is?

yessir. ive found them a little bigger too. i find them all the time in the cretaceous creeks . here's a pic of some ive found. i have many more, i just have to dig them out. by the way, i havent forgotten about sending you that bird bone...it's just hard to get to the post office during normal working hours. but i will..i promise.

DSC01810.jpg

I had a great time with you and Brain and learned a bit more about the stratigraphy of Monmouth County, NJ. My finds were not quite a good as the stuff you found but your eyes are more trained than mine. We didn't even sift that much, mostly looked at the gravel bars. You must have got down into the shell layers as you headed south to pick up the Exogyra and Belemnites.

I was finding a lot of Goblin Shark teeth and the ghost shrimp burrows.

post-1408-1246314871_thumb.jpg

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

I had a great time with you and Brain and learned a bit more about the stratigraphy of Monmouth County, NJ. My finds were not quite a good as the stuff you found but your eyes are more trained than mine. We didn't even sift that much, mostly looked at the gravel bars. You must have got down into the shell layers as you headed south to pick up the Exogyra and Belemnites.

I was finding a lot of Goblin Shark teeth and the ghost shrimp burrows.

post-1408-1246314871_thumb.jpg

actually dave...i stopped at big brook on my way home. thats where the exogyra, and the belemnites came from. lol. there's a spot there where there are tons of them still in the bank. i just dug them out. ive never seen an exogyra at rammenessin, and ive been from one end to the other. thanks again for the ammonite and the echinoid. that was an awesome trade! let me know when you wanna do another trip. i have a bunch of other places to go if your interested.

Those finds are awesome..I would love to go there sometime. I haven't gotten into collecting teeth yet...not an option here in north-central PA but I'm sure I'll be obsessed once I do. Love seeing all the pics of fossils everyone posts...gives me things to dream and hope for.

Those finds are awesome..I would love to go there sometime. I haven't gotten into collecting teeth yet...not an option here in north-central PA but I'm sure I'll be obsessed once I do. Love seeing all the pics of fossils everyone posts...gives me things to dream and hope for.

well come on down sue. id be more than happy to put you on some teeth. always a good time creek hopping. :P

Man , sure looks like you guys had fun and made some great finds also . B)B)B):D

post-23-1246412656.gif

It's my bone!!!

Those look like some great finds.

I can't wait to move to Pennsylvania in August (Pitt). Once I get settled, I'll definitely have to make some trips east. Perhaps once I've been on the boards longer, I could join you guys...

It'll be so nice to live near fossil-containing lands again (even if I don't yet know where to access them). I've been in central North Carolina for almost a decade now, which is almost completely metamorphic (though the coast is great for shark teeth). I miss NW Arkansas, where my land was built of marine invert fossils.

So are there places in PA where echinoids can be found? I've never found one, and I'm dying to, since I will soon be studying them in my day job at CMU.

"The fact that we live at the bottom of a deep gravity well, on the surface of a gas covered planet going around a nuclear fireball 90 million miles away and think this to be normal is obviously some indication of how skewed our perspective tends to be. " - Douglas Adams

Those look like some great finds.

I can't wait to move to Pennsylvania in August (Pitt). Once I get settled, I'll definitely have to make some trips east. Perhaps once I've been on the boards longer, I could join you guys...

It'll be so nice to live near fossil-containing lands again (even if I don't yet know where to access them). I've been in central North Carolina for almost a decade now, which is almost completely metamorphic (though the coast is great for shark teeth). I miss NW Arkansas, where my land was built of marine invert fossils.

So are there places in PA where echinoids can be found? I've never found one, and I'm dying to, since I will soon be studying them in my day job at CMU.

you dont have to be on the boards long to join in the fun...we were all newbies here at one time or another. lol. come on down. i'd be glad to show you some good spots for cretaceous fossils. as far as echinoids in pa goes, you'll have to ask dave (shamalama) as that is his forte' i do mostly cretaceous fossils, with an occasional trip to n.c. although i have heard of a stream in monmouth county nj that you can find echinoids in. just let me know when your ready to do some creek hopping.

So, when you start studying them, there will be plenty of tests! :P

Hyuk hyuk!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

So, when you start studying them, there will be plenty of tests! :P

Hyuk hyuk!

That's actually very true. Though they will all be of a single species...Strongylocentrotus purpuratus - the purple sea urchin that now has it's complete genome sequenced.

"The fact that we live at the bottom of a deep gravity well, on the surface of a gas covered planet going around a nuclear fireball 90 million miles away and think this to be normal is obviously some indication of how skewed our perspective tends to be. " - Douglas Adams

really cool finds thanks for sharing!! :gator:

i came saw drooled and collected

WOW! you guys did really good! Those are some great finds! thanks for sharing! It's so HOT here in Texas that seeing what others post here on the forum is as close as I'm gonna get to fossil hunting for a little while unless I can find a really nice pair of night vision goggles....LOL

You might find some bits and pieces in the marine Pennsylvanian rocks around Pittsburgh but they generally are not found intact. Since PA is pretty much Paleozoic there are not many options. :(

I'd have thought you'd been to Aurora by now or any of the other great phosphate sites down south and found some Echinoids there.

Good luck at CMU, what a great university and museum they have.

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

I'd have thought you'd been to Aurora by now or any of the other great phosphate sites down south and found some Echinoids there.

Arghh...tell me about it. I'm pretty ##### I missed the collecting season at PCS phosphate this year.

Most of my time here was in graduate school - thus I could never manage to make the time that I kept telling myself I would.

Excuses...

However, I am planning on taking a trip to Greens Mill Run in the next couple of weekends (and more sifting for shark's teach on Emerald Isle in 3 weeks).

What about crinoids? I read somewhere that areas of NW Pitt have crinoidal limestone exposures. In all the thousands upon thousands of crinoids I found in Arkansas, I've never found a calyx in good shape. So that's another goal of mine...

Nice Haul! Especially that big squali!

Looks just like NSR stuff from down here in the blistering sun zone!

What is geology? "Rocks for Jocks!"