Trilo Prep Question

PHACOPS

I have a small prone trilo i would like to prep.It is surounded from the back and top with soft shale but none underneath it.I coated it with glue and acetone was wondering if I could glue the bottom to a seperate piece of shale for additional support?and if so what kind of glue?Im afraid if i try to prep it as is it will break apart.

Welcome to the forum from Galveston Texas. I am just starting to prep so what ever I say take with a grain of salt. Yes glue it to another piece with super glue to hold it together. Pics would be nice if you can get some. One of the master preppers will show up and we both will learn something

Galveston Island 32 miles long 2 miles wide 134 bars 23 liquor stores any questions?

Evolution is Chimp Change.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain!

"I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen." Ernest Hemingway

the best thing to do is to glue it back to the original counter-part, if you have it. but it sounds like you do not. what you need to do is to mark from the top of the where the trilobite is located so that you can know where to start to prepare it once the new bottom rock is in place. i would not use glues as you will be left with airspace underneath of the trilobite that will make it nearly impossible ot prepare without breaking through. i would suggest that you familiarize yourself with BONDO or another type of automotive body filler. (not the kind with "kitty-hair", or fiberglass strands in it). this ais an excellent material to gap fill and also glue fossils together where there isn't a clean break. do not leave any air space between the two rocks. once they are joined you can carefully start to prepare down to the trilobite, being carefull to not make a hole that extend too far beyond the border of the trilobite.

if you show us a picture we could help even more.

Brock