Does anyone know the best free scientific journal download sites?

Macrophyseter

Title says all. Almost every journal I come across requires payment, but I do know that there are some places to download free articles, but dont know where. Anyone know any place to download free scientific journal articles? I need to be able to read articles so my facts are more accurate. Thanks.

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

Hello. There is an enormous volume of great, freely available number of articles here on our documents thread, lovingly supplied by many of our members (notably @Fruitbat and @piranha): http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/forum/85-documents/

If there were items behind paywalls you needed access to, some of us (including myself) have institutional access if the university subscribes to the journal. I am not publicly advocating for violating distribution rights, so PMs are preferable in such cases ;)

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Thanks! 

ps. how do you pm?

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

4 minutes ago, Macrophyseter said:

Thanks! 

ps. how do you pm?

Hover on a members avatar and You will get a drop down. There is a "message" in the lower left corner. Click on that and You will get a window to send out a PM.

• I found this Informative 1

Hover over a user's name, and click the message button on the bottom left corner. ;) 

Researchgate, Academia.edu., Google Books, are all great places to search for papers. 

Use Google Scholar to help as well. 

And for those who don't know, JSTOR has a free membership where you can read papers online. :) 

Regards, 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png    VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015       MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg        IPFOTM -- MAY - 2024   IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png

_________________________________________________________________________________
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Try THIS LINK to get to the table of contents for my Pdf Library here on The Fossil Forum.  As far as I personally know, it is the most extensive compilation of links to FREE articles related to paleontology on the Internet.  Of course...I may be fooling myself...but I don't THINK so!

-Joe

• I found this Informative 2

Illigitimati non carborundum

Fruitbat's PDF Library

And thanks, @Fruitbat Joe, for all you do. Your carefully curated documents provide me with a value I cannot possibly measure :)

Like Kane said,Piranha,Abyssunder,yours truly,Oxytropidoceras,Fruitbat and perhaps some others as well ,have a good grasp of what's going on in 

paleontology.

Just keep your ear to the ground(i.e.,this forum)

Funny nobody mentioned BHL,BTW

• I found this Informative 2

8 hours ago, doushantuo said:

Funny nobody mentioned BHL,BTW

By BHL, I assume you mean the Biodiversity Heritage Library, Ben?   ;)

People may not know what the acronym BHL stands for . (I had to look it up. :blush: Thanks for yet another great resource. )  

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png    VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015       MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg        IPFOTM -- MAY - 2024   IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png

_________________________________________________________________________________
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

New Scientist often has appropriate aticles,I've never paid but do share posts to the dread fb,but get alerts from them.

I have to object to people suggesting that specific forum members be tagged as librarians for the world.  If we start suggesting that anyone who wants free access to the literature just needs to PM fruitbat or piranha, those people could get inundated with requests for hundreds of papers.  

If people cannot find what they need via fruitbat's extensive listings, or via google scholar/researchgate/academia.edu etc. then they can just post a request on the forum and more often than not someone will quickly provide the requested info.  There is a big difference between voluntarily taking the time to help someone out, and being expected to provide this service to any and all of the Forum's members on demand.

Don

Good point, Don (and hopefully I didn't make it seem as though I was suggesting people send unsolicited PMs to certain members for document access, but instead to peruse the document lists they have already provided on this forum).

Here is how everyone can help create a bigger and better free library: consider finding new articles to add to Fruitbat's library  http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/14728-fruitbats-pdf-library-table-of-contents/ 

I looked to see what articles Joe had for California and Arizona fossils. I sent links to several articles to add to his collection. In other words, consider adopting a topic that you have an interest or expertise in. Then, find article links to give to Joe, (fruitbat.)

I challenge my  friends at the Dallas Paleontological Society to find articles on Texas fossils. I'll continue to help find California and Arizona articles.

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.