Giant Snail? Found In Hays County Texas...

dt1028

Not sure what it is, but it,s awesome.

With rocks in my head, and fossils in my heart....

I believe that is not a snail, but some type of nautiloid and a nice sized one at that. Too bad it is cracked, but that is what glue is for. :P I would have picked that one up myself. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable can come up with a more precise ID.

That is a big nautiloid, if it were me I would try and glue it back together. Nice find

Wow, that's a biiiiiiiiig nautilus! Kwite kool B)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Use the gel type for a job like that...it won't get away from you and show on the outside. Nice nautiloid.

post-420-1246499360_thumb.jpg

post-420-1246499399_thumb.jpg

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

That is a very large one and looks in good shape. They

are harder for me to find, Seem like less of them out there.

Great find..

Welcome to the forum!

Probably Cymatoceras, possibly from the Austin Chalk

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

That's it!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm fricken moving to Texas!

Come on down to Texas anytime! :D

Yeah, I'd go with Mike and everyone else on nautiloid--I've found a snail that size before, and an oyster as well--but the way the shell curves back into itself, it's definitely nautiloid--can't identify it much more than that. Awesome find though! First limestone nautiloid I've seen that size.

you have to apply for a visa first. contact the texas consulate - oh, wait, we don't have a consulate in pennsylvania. you'll have to drive a bit. check at the general store in boswell, oklahoma.

you have to apply for a visa first. contact the texas consulate - oh, wait, we don't have a consulate in pennsylvania. you'll have to drive a bit. check at the general store in boswell, oklahoma.

Once you get past all the laws, visas, and barbed wire... welcome!

just watch out for the ants. ;-)

"To do is to be." -Socrates

"People are Stupid." -Wizard's First Rule

"Happiness is a warm Jeep." -Auspex

Last I heard, Texas was full, but you can get on the waiting list :P

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I would suggest waiting until the Fall. Of course, that normally starts in Dec. :mellow:

Use the gel type [super Glue] for a job like that...it won't get away from you and show on the outside. Nice nautiloid.

As long as there are sufficient contact areas, wouldn't this specimen be better re-assembled using white glue? The semiporous, rough surface of the stone is right for white glue. White glue (polyvinyl acetate) has some set-up time to get the contacts right; and, it is adjustable or removable with the application of heat.

Sooo . . . what's the argument for using Super Glue? :huh?:

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Very Nice Find...... a little prepwork after glueing to define the mouth border better as it looks like you have some of the living or body chamber there intact, and you will have a beauty....

I'd look for a glue designed to bond stone or marble.... it usually consists of a base and hardener you mix and it has better properties designed for this type of thing, can be worked or polished and usually not all that more expensive....

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

Some stone glues swell dont they? I'm on the waiting list, so I'm practicing my "ya'll". I can sell my fossil digging shovel to fund my trip.

As long as there are sufficient contact areas, wouldn't this specimen be better re-assembled using white glue? The semiporous, rough surface of the stone is right for white glue. White glue (polyvinyl acetate) has some set-up time to get the contacts right; and, it is adjustable or removable with the application of heat.

Sooo . . . what's the argument for using Super Glue? :huh?:

I defer to Harry when it comes to glues...he has a lot of experience with them. IF, you did use Super Glue, I'd use a gel. (...now I'm stuck...)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Some stone glues swell dont they? I'm on the waiting list, so I'm practicing my "ya'll". I can sell my fossil digging shovel to fund my trip.

Better work on the up'ere and ov'ere too.

Do I need to buy a pick-up truck with a gun rack too?

I would suggest waiting until the Fall. Of course, that normally starts in Dec. :mellow:

Fall Dec 23 them comes Christmas spring Dec 27 Summer Dec 29. So if you come after the 23 bring your good coat.

Galveston Island 32 miles long 2 miles wide 134 bars 23 liquor stores any questions?

Evolution is Chimp Change.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain!

"I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen." Ernest Hemingway

Do I need to buy a pick-up truck with a gun rack too?

Lost my truck to Ike got caught driving my wifes car DPS gave me 10 days to get a truck or get out. So you might want to check into one.

Galveston Island 32 miles long 2 miles wide 134 bars 23 liquor stores any questions?

Evolution is Chimp Change.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain!

"I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen." Ernest Hemingway

I might miss the snow though. I guess there aint much snow in Texas huh? Lol.