Brittlestars In Germany

David

HI All!

small report of a 2 days trip in germany with a friend of mine...

meeting point in the old quarry near Hienheim, deposits are same age than Solnhofen / Eischtatt ones, which are not so far from were we dug

so...We wanted to find some brittlestars...when we saw what we had to remove...we first were frightened but we were decided to not come back home with empty crates.

Then instaed of sitting at contemplating the layers trying to imagine what they contain, we took pickaxes, shovels and we started

First layer at 1,5m depth second at 2.5m depth...so we did and....we found some cool pieces...even if concentration wasn't the same than what we expected.

dscf6759i.th.jpgdscf6779.th.jpgdscf6780.th.jpg

dscf6769.th.jpgdscf6762.th.jpg

dscf6778l.th.jpgdscf6777r.th.jpg

Those are great! I assume you have cleaned them. Do you have a picture before preparation? Just curious to see what they looked like out of the ground.

What other items come from this site?

héhéhéhé---> brittlestars....

arf...stop kidding well..in fact not many others things...rare undescribed fishes, some small flat ammonites (Gravesia), coprolithes...that day we've "just" found brittlestars.

to Mike...yes i cleaned them (and have to progress in sandblasting...) it is very easy and fast so i didn't kept any unprepared ... i'll think about it next time i'll go there.

In fact out of the ground ,or you just can't see anything, just a thin form and with luck a little contrast... or there are grey 5 arms brittlestars on beige/orange plate...then you can't miss it, but generally there is both kind of preservation on the plates

It is easy to split the layers but it can open 2mm over the fossils and in that case impossible to see them.

Gorgeous stars!

Have you found any of the fish you mention? Would love to see pics.

Be true to the reality you create.

Those are VERY cool!

If you believe everything you read, perhaps it's time for you to stop reading...

Your brittlestars are very nice, David ! Wohhhhh ! Bravo !

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Pareidolia : here

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Wow - those are absolutely stunning!

Love me some Ophiuroids!

Want!

"The fact that we live at the bottom of a deep gravity well, on the surface of a gas covered planet going around a nuclear fireball 90 million miles away and think this to be normal is obviously some indication of how skewed our perspective tends to be. " - Douglas Adams

Very nice finds, thank you for showing them off!

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Thank you all !

The ones i showed you are the ones i keep in collection

I'll have some for trade soon, time to make some pics...

But i'll go digging and to Millau show in a few days so not a lot of time to arrange trades.