This place was awesome! :) I spent all evening and today cleaning my shells for organization and display! Beautiful stuff that was well worth the heat and sun beating down (and sunburn despite the 100 spf applications HA!) - nothing beats the awesome company, getting to meet so many people and a beautiful north carolina river on a fossil hunting day!

Heres some of my highlights from the festival

goods.JPG

hemi1front.JPG

mako1front.JPG

mako2front.JPG

uppercow.JPG

didn't get much from GMR, still learning the ropes

Finds.JPG

@SailingAlongToo wow great report! I'm free next weekend and then the last weekend of June! Really excited to go out with you!

Do or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

On 5/28/2017 at 5:58 PM, aerogrower said:

Looks like you need a bigger cube, those shells are huge!!

The cubes are fantastic! Much appreciated!

@Boneheadz

Looks like you guys cleaned up in the Lee Creek piles at Aurora. Nice grouping and variety!!! Love the cow shark. Too bad it was a "frag-lodon" instead of whole. I got 2 frag-lodons but Trevor got a nice chub.

Jack

Don't know much about history

Don't know much biology

Don't know much about science books.........

Sam Cooke - (What A) Wonderful World

@Daleksec's Finds from Lee Creek Piles at Aurora

Here are just a few of Daleksec's (Trevor's) finds from the Lee Creek piles around Aurora.

Nice fish verts, tail bone, ray spine and puffer fish mouth plate. 2nd photo is a close up of the mouth plate (and even closer view of one of @aerogrower's scale cubes.

34008.thumb.jpeg.5251151a910debce06a97a102d5ab4c1.jpeg  33949.thumb.jpeg.8cca709d13c38b004f9d016fb51f4fc9.jpeg

Here is a photo of some of the teeth and the periotic ear bone he found. Too bad his big one was a "frag-lodon." At least the C. chubutensis was whole.

34005.jpeg.ea40f715c04c69c54cd24e0faad5274b.jpeg

Close ups of the bigger teeth. 

34003.thumb.jpeg.819c14cd68f148ca387b4b92cec33b76.jpeg  34002.jpeg.7510d5ae6c8827b41b96037ffbb93e42.jpeg

Close up of the periotic ear bone and another close up of the scale cube. That scale cube sure knows how to work it in the modeling gigs. :rofl:

34004.jpeg.533034567cb20ff35cb888140c01de52.jpeg

I will post photos of my finds when I finish cleaning them.

Cheers,

Jack

• Enjoyed 1

Don't know much biology

Some awesome teeth you guys rounded up! Looks like everyone had good luck. Would love to make it out there. Maybe next year.

3 minutes ago, aerogrower said:

Some awesome teeth you guys rounded up! Looks like everyone had good luck. Would love to make it out there. Maybe next year.

Ray,

You make it next year and I will take a few days off work on each side of the weekend and "hook you up" with fossil hunting to various spots. I'm sure we can get @sixgill pete to show you the ropes in Green Mill Run while you are here on the east cost and I'm sure one of the SC folks can help you out there too. You probably wouldn't want to leave the mid-Atlantic after a few days of hunting here.

Cheers!

Don't know much biology

WOW what a great Fossil Festival this year in Aurora with all of the speakers, displays and all of the old friends and making more new ones like the (Boneheads) thanks for coming by to see my collection on Thursday. The weather was the best we have had in years and it was a full house for all of the great speakers. Don (sixgillpete) it was good to see you OLD FRIEND along with all of the other TFF members. sorry no room for all of the names I left out. Next year will be the 25th Festival and I hope to see a lot more of you all there then. Cindy and the staff of the Museum and all of the Friends of the Aurora Fossil Museum members that volunteered their time made this one of the best yet. I also saw a lot of very nice fossils that the folks had collected. See ya next year. George

I'll be driving from Baltimore back to north Georgia, and I was thinking about making a stop by Aurora this coming Saturday.  Is there likely to be anything left of the piles, and are they worth an extra 2 hrs driving time?  Also how can you tell if you are just re-sieving someone else's sievings?  Alternatively I could just spend a few hours at Greens Mill Run, would that likely be a better use of my time?  

I had hoped to stop in at Purse, but unfortunately the tides are completely opposite to what I would need.  I'll be leaving Baltimore about 4:00 and would arrive at Purse just in time for high tide.

Don C

1 hour ago, FossilDAWG said:

I'll be driving from Baltimore back to north Georgia, and I was thinking about making a stop by Aurora this coming Saturday.  Is there likely to be anything left of the piles, and are they worth an extra 2 hrs driving time?  Also how can you tell if you are just re-sieving someone else's sievings?  Alternatively I could just spend a few hours at Greens Mill Run, would that likely be a better use of my time?  

I had hoped to stop in at Purse, but unfortunately the tides are completely opposite to what I would need.  I'll be leaving Baltimore about 4:00 and would arrive at Purse just in time for high tide.

Don C

Hey Don C.,

I can tell you that Purse is getting hit hot and heavy these days by fossil hunters. With many schools already out or getting out this week, it will only get worse. My recommendation is not to bother if you can't be one of the 1st on the beach (or the 1st, if you get my meaning) on a low tide.

@sixgill pete can give you advice on Aurora vs GMR. I would think there would still be plenty of fossils worth finding in the pile in the big field. Though, GMR is always a good choice if the water is low and you know what you are looking for in the way of matrix. He can guide you.

Cheers and good luck.

SA2

Don't know much biology

@FossilDAWG sending you a PM Don.

Bulldozers and dirt Bulldozers and dirt
behind the trailer, my desert
Them red clay piles are heaven on earth
I get my rocks off, bulldozers and dirt

Patterson Hood; Drive-By Truckers

image.png.0c956e87cee523facebb6947cb34e842.png May 2016  MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png.b42a25e3438348310ba19ce6852f50c1.png May 2012 IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png.1721b8912c45105152ac70b0ae8303c3.png.2b6263683ee32421d97e7fa481bd418a.pngAug 2013, May 2016, Apr 2020 VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png.af5065d0585e85f4accd8b291bf0cc2e.png.72a83362710033c9bdc8510be7454b66.png.9171036128e7f95de57b6a0f03c491da.png Oct 2022