Galveston - July 3rd

MikeD

Went fishing yesterday in Galveston. Also increased my shark tooth collection. Found 7. A big haul for me. There was another guy I talked to that found 61 in a 100 yard stretch. His were all small. I found 1 nice big one.

post-534-1246732363_thumb.jpg

Way cool MikeD thanks for the pics

Galveston Island 32 miles long 2 miles wide 134 bars 23 liquor stores any questions?

Evolution is Chimp Change.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain!

"I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen." Ernest Hemingway

I'm still trying to get used to the idea that we can find fossil shark teeth on our beaches. I've always thought you had to go to the East coast. Very nice finds. Happy birthday all!

-----"Your Texas Connection!"------

Fossils: Windows to the past

Very nice finds! I didn't get out to the beach yesterday unfortunately (fell took too long of a nap). I was going to give you a call, but I don't have your # in my phone because it's new...which I keep forgetting. Hope the fishing waas great as well! :D

Is that one tooth pathological? It almost

looks like it to me..

Welcome to the forum!

Good haul Mike. I wish my beach house hadn't fallen through. I'm stuck in Austin spending the 4th with my obnoxious neighbors. :(

I'll be down there as soon as I can. (with the ocean breeze it's at least 8 degrees cooler!) :)

Went fishing yesterday in Galveston. Also increased my shark tooth collection. Found 7. A big haul for me. There was another guy I talked to that found 61 in a 100 yard stretch. His were all small. I found 1 nice big one.

post-534-1246732363_thumb.jpg

Mike - Bottom row, 2nd tooth: Is is broken or deformed? If it's not broken you have a one of a kind there. - Mike

-----"Your Texas Connection!"------

Fossils: Windows to the past

Mike, I collected along Jamaica beach many years ago and found some similar stuff plus at least one mammal tooth still not ID'd. Do you have any idea of the age of that stuff?

I'm still trying to get used to the idea that we can find fossil shark teeth on our beaches. I've always thought you had to go to the East coast. Very nice finds. Happy birthday all!

I feel the same way!!!!!!!! Been going to Galveston since I was knee high to a grasshopper! Didn't know there was anything but beach TAR and can tabs under my feet!!!!!!!!!Who would have known???? Certainly not me! Thanks for the post Mike!

Found 8 small shark teeth today, but none larger than 1/2 cm--all very tiny again--you must have hit it just on the right day! Usually a bad day after a good day of hunting there--something to do with the tidal patterns.

Thanks.

momma: I caught a gafftop and a shark, each about a foot long and a half a dozen hardheads of various sizes.

Roz and Mike: Not sure about the pathological thing. It kind of looks like it, but I don't know much about that. It is not broken, but I was thinking it might have been from the outer edges of the jaw.

erose: Not sure of the age of the teeth. I need to check with some people who know. The mammal fossils are Pleistocene from the Beaumont formation.

Mike and Barry: I never knew there was that many shark teeth there until tracer posted his.

MikeD, nice teeth. That is one big Carcharinus SP.

DO, or do not. There is no try.

Nice haul Mike!

Sounds like a great day at the beach.

We're you surface collecting or using a strainer?

What is geology? "Rocks for Jocks!"

Surface collecting. I did try a strainer, but did not find anything. With the exception of the big one, the rest were found at the edge of the surf as the waves washed in and out and turned over the shell hash and sand.

Thanks for the ID MikeDOTB.