The Fossils From The Nsr I Am Not Sure About

mommabetts

These are the things I found at the NSR after the last big rain that I am not sure about, any ideas?post-498-1246756926_thumb.jpg post-498-1246756954_thumb.jpg I have no clue on this, note the slick on one side and the way it is curved.post-498-1246757138_thumb.jpg This is the inside of it. The next is some type of scute or plating.post-498-1246757200_thumb.jpg post-498-1246757287_thumb.jpgpost-498-1246757361_thumb.jpg This one the bone is kinda flat, I know it isn't as old as the others because of the coloring but is is fossilized.post-498-1246757462_thumb.jpg post-498-1246757541_thumb.jpg post-498-1246757576_thumb.jpg

Iwant to say whale ear bone don't know why. Let's wait till the smart guys get here.

Galveston Island 32 miles long 2 miles wide 134 bars 23 liquor stores any questions?

Evolution is Chimp Change.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain!

"I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen." Ernest Hemingway

Hey Seldom, I was thinking that too but

did not think they were found there. Just

cause I haven't seen any from that location.

That is what it reminds me of...

Welcome to the forum!

Hey Seldom, I was thinking that too but

did not think they were found there. Just

cause I haven't seen any from that location.

That is what it reminds me of...

I agree but I have never heard of any at the location, so I am clueless as to what it is.

it's not a whale ear bone, folks. we're talking the cretaceous, and there weren't any whales there.

it's not a whale ear bone, folks. we're talking the cretaceous, and there weren't any whales there.

Oh, I KNOW it's not but it does remind me of one, just don't know what it is.

Did mosasaurs have ear bones I wonder? Tried to find

that online but I found couldn't. Maybe a huge fish. I know

some had ear bones. Or maybe a bone from the brain case.

Sure wish I knew...

Welcome to the forum!

Did mosasaurs have ear bones I wonder? Tried to find

that online but I found couldn't. Maybe a huge fish. I know

some had ear bones. Or maybe a bone from the brain case.

Sure wish I knew...

I wish I knew too, it has been driving me crazy ever since I found it. I have found a lot of bones from there of all shapes and forms but none like that one. I have looked in all my books and the net and can't find anything.

Now we know what it is not. I want to know will keep looking

Galveston Island 32 miles long 2 miles wide 134 bars 23 liquor stores any questions?

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain!

"I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen." Ernest Hemingway

It looks kind of like an eroded mosasaur quadrate bone. (Which is the "earbone" of a mosasaur),

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

It looks kind of like an eroded mosasaur quadrate bone. (Which is the "earbone" of a mosasaur),

what?

what??

Not really an "ear-bone" but it does support the tympanic membrane.

post-40-1246765237_thumb.jpg

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

well, ok, i guess i can see why you might think there was something quadratic in this equation, but how do you know it was from an eroded mosasaur?

Figure 12: The back of the skull in mosasaurs was a complex web of bone, supporting the lower jaws, the braincase and the occipital condyle (half-round shape at center) that connects to the vertebral column. The openings in the skull also allowed for the strong muscles that were used for opening and closing the lower jaw. The spinal cord emerged from the dark area at the center of the figure. The brain in mosasaurs is relatively small compared to body size, but this apparently did not hinder them from becoming highly successful marine predators. Two "detached" quadrates, showing an exterior view of the left and right quadrates have been added to this figure. Because of its heavy construction, the quadrate bone is one of the most commonly found and readily diagnostic parts of the mosasaur skull.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

post-1315-1246765966_thumb.png

These are the things I found at the NSR after the last big rain that I am not sure about, any ideas?

I think this one is coprolite OR possibely not. I'd have to have a better look at it.

post-15-1246766122.jpg

-----"Your Texas Connection!"------

Fossils: Windows to the past

It looks like ya'll nailed it, thanks. It says it is the most common found, but I have never seen one from there before, and I have found a lot of bone from there.

I can't help on the ID's, but it's nice to see young girls out hunting! :D

I can't help on the ID's, but it's nice to see young girls out hunting! :D

Young? well thank you, but I haven't been that in a very long time.

Tag-teamed by bowkill and Seldom; good work!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

We will teach them un ID fossils come around here and we will gang up on them. Thanks Mommabetts that was fun.

We will teach them un ID fossils come around here and we will gang up on them. Thanks Mommabetts that was fun.

That is good, now gang up on the other 2 fossils!!!!!