A Challenge For You Paleozoic Invert Fans

2ynpigo

These are Pennsylvanian fossils, the left from the Los Moyos Limestone east of Albuquerque, and the right from the Madera Formation in the Jemez Mountains.

I'm wondering if these are cephalopods. Any ideas?

post-1365-1246827528_thumb.jpg

With some randomness to the coiling, and no segmenting, they look like worm tubes to me.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Agree.... very little ornamentation or evidence of suturing that I can see in the pics. Not gastropods because the tubes look too narrow and do not progress in width very much. Probably not Crinoid holdfasts either as again, no evidence of segmentation.

Nice examples of worm tubes tho... the right hand one especially.

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

i agree that the presented fossils appear to be some sort of "worm tubes". having said that, i did not find examples of similar fossils in my reference information on the pennsylvanian of texas. i did, however, find an article that might provide several leads regarding what direction to pursue in attempting to identify the things, if in fact they represent worm tubes.

article

hopefully it might be of interest.

regards,

tracer

Three votes for worm tubes and one for cephalopods. I hadn't thought about worm tubes, so I'll look into this possibility some more. Thanks for link to the paper on worm tubes.

There doesn't appear to be any evidence of segmentation. I looked into one of my references and there are a few genera of gastropods that have whorls that don't contact adjacent whorls.

Three votes for worm tubes and one for cephalopods. I hadn't thought about worm tubes, so I'll look into this possibility some more. Thanks for link to the paper on worm tubes.

There doesn't appear to be any evidence of segmentation. I looked into one of my references and there are a few genera of gastropods that have whorls that don't contact adjacent whorls.

Please have a look at the near bottom of the page.

Gyrocone

Figure 15

OK. Got it to work. So it looks like cephalopod could still be in the running.

OK. Got it to work. So it looks like cephalopod could still be in the running.

Sir, those little guy's are hard to find and yours are in good shape. See if yours have chamber lines on them and then you will know. Never mind, they do.

You're certainly right that they are uncommon.

BTW - forgot to mention that there is a trilobite pygidium exposed on the matrix in the first photo, specimen on the left from the Los Moyos Limestone. Preservation is so so.

Purely coincidence -- there is a "famous" Pennsylvanian-age trilobite locality not far from where this piece came from. When it gets cooler, I'll be looking for trilobites.

Guest solius symbiosus

Though, somewhat, unfamiliar with upper Paleozoic stuff, they appear to be worm tubes. A scale would be nice.

Guest solius symbiosus
They are a bit smaller than a quarter. :D

How did I miss that??? I guess you can call me "Mr. Obvious".

How did I miss that??? I guess you can call me "Mr. Obvious".

How you been doing, seems like we haunt this site at different times.