Up On The Mountain

Tr-J-K

Spent the 3rd of July a great way - walking the Cretaceous Wahweap Formation looking for dinosaurs. We ended up getting mostly skunked. We did find two trees, but only a few bone chunks. I also found a partial agate projectile point, which was pretty cool. Can't wait to get back out there again!

If you don't mind me asking ,what age is this Wahweap formation

Living on the north side of the 49th we have different names

for most of the formations

Not that I'm bragin but you should see what we have up here

all late Cretaceous :D

If you don't mind me asking ,what age is this Wahweap formation

Living on the north side of the 49th we have different names

for most of the formations

Not that I'm bragin but you should see what we have up here

all late Cretaceous :D

The Wahweap is Campanian in age, sort of a deltaic environment on the western shore of the inland seaway. Not too well explored, since a lot of the exposure is hard to get to.

Some logs we found, along with the nicest bone chunk. No scale on any of the pics, but the logs were big (you can see the Mormon Tea in the pics). The bone is about 4-5 inches across.

post-1857-1246852941_thumb.jpg

post-1857-1246852977_thumb.jpg

post-1857-1246853043_thumb.jpg

Is there a faunal list for this Fm.?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Do you think you could post a pic pf the

agate projectile point?

Welcome to the forum!

Is there a faunal list for this Fm.?

Not a complete one that I'm aware of. Almost everything that has been emerging from it seems to be a new species, if not new genera or even higher. There's a couple centrosaurines, at least two hadrosaurs (one possibly Parasaurolophus), at least one theropod, in addition to a croc or two. The formation is poorly understood since a lot of the formation is hard to get to and prospect.

Do you think you could post a pic pf the

agate projectile point?

You got it. I've also attached a picture of some of the exposure of the Wahweap (and the John Henry, Calico, and Tropic) You can see why a lot of the Wahweap is difficult to get to.

post-1857-1246887545_thumb.jpg

I've spent part of the day nosing around on the 'net for info about the Wahweap Fm. From what little I could glean, it is pretty cool; sort of a mixed-up transitional habitat zone. I really like paleoecology, and these transition zones are wonderful microcosms to "watch" as the local environment shifts back and forth over time! The only faunal list I came across was for a particular mammal study; otherwise just a few papers about certain ceratopsin discoveries.

Were you "up on the mountain" in Utah or Arizona?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Up in Utah, on the Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument. I volunteer over there (off and on) with their paleo program, so we were looking to see if we could turn up anything cool for them.

Thanks for the pic of the agate point. I knew it would be

beautiful!

You are lucky to hunt in those fantastic

surroundings.. It reminds me a little of west Texas.

Welcome to the forum!