Jaw Section With Tooth

Frank Menser

Out at the pond again hunting the orange zone. No Meg teeth but found this. The jaw section is exactly an inch long to give size. Pretty sure it is a fish.

post-1313-1246899411_thumb.jpgpost-1313-1246899442_thumb.jpgpost-1313-1246899498_thumb.jpg

Be true to the reality you create.

I'll take a guess. Enchodus fang.

Nice find!

I thought encodus too when I first found it since I have found those there. One thing that makes me wonder though is this tooth is striated which none of my Encodus teeth have. I did not notice this till the pic was taken (check first shot enlarged).

Edited to add: Checked some on line sites and one had great shots of Encodus teeth. The palatine teeth on some species are striated.

I thought encodus too when I first found it since I have found those there. One thing that makes me wonder though is this tooth is striated which none of my Encodus teeth have. I did not notice this till the pic was taken (check first shot enlarged).

Edited to add: Checked some on line sites and one had great shots of Encodus teeth. The palatine teeth on some species are striated.

The striations threw me off a little.That's why I prefaced my answer with a guess :P The jaw sections of the Sabre Tooth Herring that I find have no striations. Your pond also has similar material that we find here at the Sulphur River.

just about every enchodus tooth i find here is striated to some extent. nice find...great detail.

just about every enchodus tooth i find here is striated to some extent. nice find...great detail.

So, having found many enchodus jaw sections and teeth in the North Sulfur River here in Texas, I had no idea that similar fish still existed... until I saw the online ads for the History Channel series "Hooked"... a little research led me to the Paraya, which looks to me to be very similar indeed to enchodus! Perhaps you were all aware of this, but it came as a real surprise to me!

jeremy-wade.jpg

Every complex scientific problem has an elegant and simple solution... and it is wrong.

... a little research led me to the Paraya, which looks to me to be very similar indeed to enchodus!

remind me to never try taking a hook out of that mouth.... :o