Another Quick Stop At Ramenessin...

lordpiney

stopped by ramenessin for a quick gravel bar scan yesterday afternoon. met up with haddy, and along with another friend we worked our way upstream a half mile or so. i personally found over 70 sharks teeth, along with other small verts, and enchodus teeth. no mosasaur teeth this time, but i did find a big sawfish rostrum. pretty good haul for ony being there a short period of time.DSC01814.jpg

DSC01822.jpg

the sawfish rostrum...

DSC01816.jpg

i dont usually keep steinkerns, but this was a very cool specimen.

DSC01817.jpg

another shot of the bivalve...

Colorful batch; looks like a sunset :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

A very nice haul indeed Phil. Same general area we were in? Or did you go uptream this time?

"Nothing happens in contradiction to nature, only to what we know of it."

If that's a sunset I think it would be a painfull one...Gads there's some sharp ones :D

What state are we talking about?

Be true to the reality you create.

Nice finds! I was in the area on Saturday for a picnic and managed to sneak over there myself. I didn't have as much time but I did manage to get some more teeth, including a nice Mackeral, and a few pieces of Ghost shrimp/Crab claws and an Ammonite section. Great area! Great weekend to visit too as the weather was just gorgeous! :D

BTW, was looking over the geology maps ( http://www.nj.gov/dep/gis/imapnj_geolsplash.htm# ) and all the sediment in that area is Cretaceous. It's all Mt. Laurel and Wenonah formations. Those gravel horizons are just storm or river outflows, not a boundary. Phil, you prolly already know this but it's interesting for me still. :)

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

A very nice haul indeed Phil. Same general area we were in? Or did you go uptream this time?

thanks bud. actually brian, i was a ways downstream this time. below where we met dave about a half mile. i'll show you next time if you want.

Nice finds! I was in the area on Saturday for a picnic and managed to sneak over there myself. I didn't have as much time but I did manage to get some more teeth, including a nice Mackeral, and a few pieces of Ghost shrimp/Crab claws and an Ammonite section. Great area! Great weekend to visit too as the weather was just gorgeous! :D

BTW, was looking over the geology maps ( http://www.nj.gov/dep/gis/imapnj_geolsplash.htm# ) and all the sediment in that area is Cretaceous. It's all Mt. Laurel and Wenonah formations. Those gravel horizons are just storm or river outflows, not a boundary. Phil, you prolly already know this but it's interesting for me still. :)

thanks dave. yes, it is a great area. it never dissapoints. glad to hear you found some nice stuff. id like to see the ammonite piece. yes, i knew that, but it's still very interesting when you take a minute to think about it. there are thousands of creatceous fossils to find in that stream alone, not to mention all the streams in that area that are loaded up with goodies! :D

If that's a sunset I think it would be a painfull one...Gads there's some sharp ones :D

What state are we talking about?

yeah, they were stabbing me in my thigh all afternoon. lol. monmouth county n.j. is where they are from.

I always liked Ramenessin better than Big Brook. But the strata is virtually the same and I can't say I ever found better stuff at one or the other. Have you ever noticed how awesome those Tulip (Poplar) trees are? Some of them are over 6 feet in diameter and go up 50 feet before they branch. A real testament to the richness of those greensands. Many early fossil finds including the Haddonfield Hadrosaur were found in greensand quarries.

About nine years ago I did a field guide for Big Brook and that area with the NYPS. The strata is actually a little more complicated than the maps make out. Higher up in the banks it is Navesink. The highest banks are capped by the Sandy Hook member of the Red Bank Formation. The stuff along the stream at Ramanessin is mostly Navesink and Wenonah. Different geologists have mixed opinions about how much Mt Laurel is actually present in that area. Some work suggests that it has thinned out in that area and only occurs as lenses. Along Big Brook upstream of Boundary Road the Navesink sits directly on the Wenonah. And the vast majority of the vertebrate material is coming out of a lag deposit that sits at the unconformity at the base of the Navesink. That lag deposit crops out a good mile upstream of Boundary Road and is hard to get at safely. But it still constantly produces material that gets washed down stream and distributed throughout all those gravel bars.

Love seeing your finds.

yeah, they were stabbing me in my thigh all afternoon. lol. monmouth county n.j. is where they are from.

Oh de pain... :P I should hurt so....

Be true to the reality you create.

I always liked Ramenessin better than Big Brook. But the strata is virtually the same and I can't say I ever found better stuff at one or the other. Have you ever noticed how awesome those Tulip (Poplar) trees are? Some of them are over 6 feet in diameter and go up 50 feet before they branch. A real testament to the richness of those greensands. Many early fossil finds including the Haddonfield Hadrosaur were found in greensand quarries.

About nine years ago I did a field guide for Big Brook and that area with the NYPS. The strata is actually a little more complicated than the maps make out. Higher up in the banks it is Navesink. The highest banks are capped by the Sandy Hook member of the Red Bank Formation. The stuff along the stream at Ramanessin is mostly Navesink and Wenonah. Different geologists have mixed opinions about how much Mt Laurel is actually present in that area. Some work suggests that it has thinned out in that area and only occurs as lenses. Along Big Brook upstream of Boundary Road the Navesink sits directly on the Wenonah. And the vast majority of the vertebrate material is coming out of a lag deposit that sits at the unconformity at the base of the Navesink. That lag deposit crops out a good mile upstream of Boundary Road and is hard to get at safely. But it still constantly produces material that gets washed down stream and distributed throughout all those gravel bars.

Love seeing your finds.

thank you...yes i have noticed how big those tulip trees get there. especially by ramenessin. in fact there is a double set of trees that i passed on my way to the creek on sun that were absolutly the largest trees ive seen in years! they were breathtaking! i have a friend who has a journal that was written by an employee of the west jersey marl company back around the turn of the century. in it he lists all the bones that were found during a 4 year period. amazing how much stuff was found at inversand way back when. whole skulls, a ton of verts, and many other things. makes me want to hit all those little creeks down in that area again.

i would love to read your field guide sometime. i dont suppose it's online anywhere? i think i know where the vertebrate outcrop your talking about is. it's a tough hike up that far. i found another vertebrate area that is in a tributary of big brook where ive found quite a few nice chunks of bone. anytime you wanna go creek hopping...just let me know.

nice ray vert as well!

stopped by ramenessin for a quick gravel bar scan yesterday afternoon. met up with haddy, and along with another friend we worked our way upstream a half mile or so. i personally found over 70 sharks teeth, along with other small verts, and enchodus teeth. no mosasaur teeth this time, but i did find a big sawfish rostrum. pretty good haul for ony being there a short period of time

---Wie Wasser schleift den Stein, wir steigen und fallen---

Oh de pain... :P I should hurt so....

shoot...come on up frank. i guarentee your thigh will be sore by the end of the day. :P

stopped by ramenessin for a quick gravel bar scan yesterday afternoon. met up with haddy, and along with another friend we worked our way upstream a half mile or so. i personally found over 70 sharks teeth, along with other small verts, and enchodus teeth. no mosasaur teeth this time, but i did find a big sawfish rostrum. pretty good haul for ony being there a short period of time.

It was a fun day – thanks for the good company! We went to a location I hadn’t been to before, and it was pretty good. Great weather, too! I came up with about 30 teeth, a sawfish rostrum (not as large as the huge one Phil found), and some pieces / miscellaneous. That bone didn’t make it into the photo, I left it in the car. Will take a photo of it later and see what everyone thinks it is.

post-1782-1246928464_thumb.jpg

It was a fun day – thanks for the good company! We went to a location I hadn’t been to before, and it was pretty good. Great weather, too! I came up with about 30 teeth, a sawfish rostrum (not as large as the huge one Phil found), and some pieces / miscellaneous. That bone didn’t make it into the photo, I left it in the car. Will take a photo of it later and see what everyone thinks it is.

it was my pleasure sue...im glad you had a good time. next time we'll hit another spot! :P

it was my pleasure sue...im glad you had a good time. next time we'll hit another spot! :P

Deal! And let me know if you find anything out about the NYPS Guide. I googled it and it looks like it's for sale to members. I'm not close to NY so am not a member but would be interested in seeing it also.

Phil the maps of the cretaceous in NJ comes pretty close to where I live in middlesex county. Is it just monmouth county that's productive? Not sure why I think we'd have heard of sharks teeth in my area.

Phil the maps of the cretaceous in NJ comes pretty close to where I live in middlesex county. Is it just monmouth county that's productive? Not sure why I think we'd have heard of sharks teeth in my area.

not at all brian. there are productive creeks all throughout the cretaceous band from sandy hook to salem county, and even in northern delaware. it's just a matter of finding which ones cut deep enough to be productive. i have spots down here in south jersey that i find stuff in...just not as much as up in monmouth county.

Is that trial and error Phil? or are there maps that can aid in determining which brooks cut deep enough? I may be at Big Brook or Rammenessin this Sunday, I'll text you if you're around.