Galveston, Tx Fossil Hunting From 3 Days!

silverphoenix

Well I just got back from 4th of July vacation. I will be going on vacation again on Thursday. While I'm here though, I wanted to post everything that I found on Saturday, Sunday, and Monday. Saturday, I found 8, Sunday I found 86, and Monday I found 30something. This was at Jamaica beach--I hunted approximately 1 hr Saturday, 3 Sunday, and 2 Monday. Unfortunately the tides were against me the first day as the numbers show, but they were perfect and all the teeth bearing shell beds were exposed Sunday and the following day. I found 138 teeth total, 16 ray plates including 2 eagle ray plates and one complete central plate, 1 alligator scute, 1 piece of unidentified fossilized bone, 2 tiny fin spines and a larger broken spine, 1 piece of some sort of odd crab claw, and 1 (I believe) sawfish tooth. All that was found besides the shark teeth is fossilized. Many, but not all of the shark teeth are fossilized, a few are just old, and a couple are very recent.

I know most of these are tiny, but it's in looking for the tiny teeth that I often find fossils and ray plates.

P1000841.jpg

P1000842.jpg

P1000843.jpg

P1000844.jpg

P1000845.jpg

P1000847.jpg

P1000848.jpg

P1000849.jpg

P1000850.jpg

P1000851.jpg

My dad's finds from the weekend

• Enjoyed 1

Wish I knew you were down here. I hunted about 1hr Sun at 8 mile road found 3 small ones. Went to the east end flats today 1 hr no teeth but several ray plates. Think I will try way west tomorrow. I will PM you about the micro fossils.

Galveston Island 32 miles long 2 miles wide 134 bars 23 liquor stores any questions?

Evolution is Chimp Change.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain!

"I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen." Ernest Hemingway

:D Thanks! I rekon it was a successful hunt for TX lol

I hunt 8 mile road as well--if you ever see someone carrying an aluminum net and a pill bottle, that's me! haha

I hunt 8 mile road as well--if you ever see someone carrying an aluminum net and a pill bottle, that's me! haha

If I ever get stopped by the police with 2 or 3 pill bottles full of ????? their going to think I am a nut.

Galveston Island 32 miles long 2 miles wide 134 bars 23 liquor stores any questions?

Evolution is Chimp Change.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain!

"I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen." Ernest Hemingway

haha well I don't think I have to worry about that, because everyone already thinks I'm a nut! haha :D

Nice job! I feel sorry for all those sharks that have to gum their food now. Wow, that's alot of teeth!

Dave Bowen

Collin County, Texas.

Paleontology: The next best thing to time travel.

THAT's about as succuessful as I've seen! Great job Chase!

What is geology? "Rocks for Jocks!"