Please Help Me Id This Fossil From Upstate Ny Near Albany

Bishop54

Hi everyone, as you see i'm new here. I have always been interested in fossils and my interest peaked when my father had a cell phone tower built on his property just 30 mins south of Albany NY. They had to put in a shale road and used truck loads upon truck loads of shale. Well long story short the shale from the pit was too large for the road and they had to redo it with a smaller grade of stone. They made a huge pile with the larger shale and I have been going through it looking for fossils. I came across this fossil and it surprised me as it's the only one of it's kind that I have found. I have no clue what it could be from but i'm excited to fins out. If any of you can ID it for me that would be great. The fossil shown is in my hand and is actually broken in two. I found the other piece very close to the larger piece. Thanks for your help.

post-1888-1247021283_thumb.jpg

Out of my area but it looks to me like part of a cephelapod shell.

Be true to the reality you create.

Does anyone else have any thoughts about my find? Is it indeed a Cephalopod? What period is it from? I'm very proud of my finding, should I be?

The only thing that comes to mind for me is an orthoconic cephalapod that has eroded in an unusual way. I'd still wait for more Paleozoic collectors to chime in, though.

All fossils that make me scratch my head are cool!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Making an expert scratch their head makes me even more proud of my first find. Thanks for your analysis of it. Ok, any Paleozoic collectors care to chime in?

Spyroceras. Cephalapod. And probably Devonian. Good specimen as they go. Check out Karl Wilson's Paleontology of New York we site. Google it up I'm away from my bookmarks. You will certainly find one there.

I agree with erose, probably the cephalopod Spyroceras if it's from Devonian rocks. If from Silurian then maybe Dawsoniceras?

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Definitely a cephalopod. I've found a copule of the same guys in NY in the past but never IDed them. Will try to get to my books this weekend, maybe I can confirm the genus for you.

Definitely a cephalopod. I've found a copule of the same guys in NY in the past but never IDed them. Will try to get to my books this weekend, maybe I can confirm the genus for you.

Thank's a lot. I was in Maine all weekend and didn't see your post right away. We're you able to hit the books this weekend?

Guy's, I found two more pieces to my Cephalopod today. I found them very close to the other two pieces. I can't believe I over looked them. I was just looking through those rocks the other day and didn't even see them. I wasn't ever going to hunt today, I'm sooo glad I did. Here is what we have so far. It's coming right along. :)

post-1888-1247788929_thumb.jpg

Way to go! That'll add to your "pride of findership" :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

Way to go! That'll add to your "pride of findership" :)

I'm beaming with pride right now. It's starting to take shape and makes me feel like I have something very special. I know it's extremely old so that makes it even more special.

While Googling for info for another thread, I came across a site that has something similar pictured:

http://english.fossiel.net/locations/locat...?plaats=Gotland

Scroll down to the fossil pics :)

For some reason that link isn't working for me. Can you please try it again? Not sure why it's not working.

Looks like the site might have been down for a bit; I'll try again.

http://english.fossiel.net/locations/locat...?plaats=Gotland