Leaf, Still Embedded In Shale.

Shane5150

Any help identifying this leaf, would be appreciated. I live in Westbank, BC. Having fun with my son finding great fossils in our backyard.

The leaf looks like you could just peal it off the shale. Recent finds have been identified from the Eocene.

post-1887-1247097286_thumb.jpg

You're really cooking now!

Did you notice that it appears to have insect feeding damage? Too cool! B)

I'm pretty sure the flora from that deposit is well known; if I come across it, I'll post it here.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

yeah, that's pretty special. i should look so good in 30 or 40 million years...

You're really cooking now!

Did you notice that it appears to have insect feeding damage? Too cool! B)

I'm pretty sure the flora from that deposit is well known; if I come across it, I'll post it here.

Yeah. Very exciting. I thought of insect damage too. Hopefully, an insect find is in the cards.

OK, this is getting exciting!

I found a pdf of the Mcabee Fossil Site Assessment Report (July, 2007).

I contains lots of information for that site, and at least some of it is applicable to your back yard!

Lots of flora (leaves, seeds, cones), insects, fish, crayfish, and (drumroll please) BIRDS!

Here's the link:

http://www.al.gov.bc.ca/clad/strategic_lan...ment_report.pdf

(Lemme know if I can come up and "help" :D )

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

Another great leaf! And from your backyard? Lucky you!

Yes. To be fair, I live on ten acres. Our backyard is, essentially, what most would call behind the house. Higher elevations where we are.

Guest N.AL.hunter

Auspex great PDF! Looking at those pics makes me drool. Wonderful site. Too bad it is in Canada.

Any help identifying this leaf, would be appreciated. I live in Westbank, BC. Having fun with my son finding great fossils in our backyard.

The leaf looks like you could just peal it off the shale. Recent finds have been identified from the Eocene.

Wow thats cool. Very simular to an area here in Washington state. the shale looks the same And I also find lot of leaves in it but I am after the crabs. This is a darker piece but lighter slabs with lots of leaves are there also. Mostly Willow, Alder, and Dogwood

Wow thats cool. Very simular to an area here in Washington state. the shale looks the same And I also find lot of leaves in it but I am after the crabs. This is a darker piece but lighter slabs with lots of leaves are there also. Mostly Willow, Alder, and Dogwood

Yes. Very close. A crab would be very exciting. I am hoping for an insect. Good luck and thanks for the post.

It's fun to hear someone thrilled with the wonder of discovery...keep us posted.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

ahhh.... now THAT is a fossil worth keeping! Find some more, I'd like to trade you and your son for some. :)

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Very nice fossil...... and your back yard .... wow!!... You could have fossil digging parties ..... ;)

Which bit is insect damage, the centre markings or the RH edge, where it looks 'munched'....

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

ahhh.... now THAT is a fossil worth keeping! Find some more, I'd like to trade you and your son for some. :)

Sure thing. I have found that we are going to need to upgrade in the tool department.

Which bit is insect damage, the centre markings or the RH edge, where it looks 'munched'....

The holes in the center look particularly like insect damage to me. The edge of some go right up to a vein, then stop; just like we see today.

Very nice fossil...... and your back yard .... wow!!... You could have fossil digging parties ..... ;)

That seems to be the theory of the damage. Still not sure what kind of leaf it is.

Still not sure what kind of leaf it is.

Maybe Beech? There was one in the Eocene that did not have a serrated edge.

Auspex.... Yes, im with you now.... and your right, ive seen that pattern on Oak leafs.... I was looking at the RH edge, it looks like a caterpillers took a munch, maybe theres a little of the leaf not quite exposed there....

Nice find.... keep digging.... I would be out there all hours lol.....

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

Y'know...you could feed that fossil leaf to your other fossil pets.... :rolleyes:

Great find, love the detail! :D

Be true to the reality you create.

Auspex.... Yes, im with you now.... and your right, ive seen that pattern on Oak leafs.... I was looking at the RH edge, it looks like a caterpillers took a munch, maybe theres a little of the leaf not quite exposed there....

Nice find.... keep digging.... I would be out there all hours lol.....

This fossil hunting is tough on the back, to be sure. Very much worth it though, no doubt.

Shane, I lived up on Hiashi Blvd. for over a year back in the late 80's! If I had only known, but I wasn't into fossils back then, only rocks. :faint:

Shane, I lived up on Hiashi Blvd. for over a year back in the late 80's! If I had only known, but I wasn't into fossils back then, only rocks. :faint:

I wouldn't have known either, if not for my sons curiousity. Now these finds have my mind very excited, my back, not so much.