Tooth Or Tusk?

fig rocks

Are these teeth or tusks? Both are 4" long, 1 is 1 1/2" wide and the other is 1 3/4" wide. Some expert advice would be greatly appreciated! :blink:

post-1761-1247155788_thumb.jpg

post-1761-1247155867_thumb.jpg

post-1761-1247155917_thumb.jpg

post-1761-1247155943_thumb.jpg

post-1761-1247155962_thumb.jpg

Can you show a proximal end view (the big end head on) and provide general locality/formation info (no need to give away the site - just general info to help us rule out a few things).

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

These came from a box of fossils that a friend gave me. He says he wasn't sure where he found them, but I know he usually collects in the badlands of Alberta. :blink:

post-1761-1247158865_thumb.jpg

Just off the top of my head, I'm going to suggest they are tusks.

Ivory fractures very randomly like chalk. Technically they are teeth, but they don't serve the purpose of chewing, grinding, or tearing like typical teeth. Also, I have used fossil and modern ivory on knife handles, and it looks very much like the ivory I use. Some fossil ivory is darker, however.

Tusks are generally rounded at the ends like these, and being very round circumfrence-wise, indicates they served no purpose such as tearing, grinding, or chewing.

My vote is Tusk.

Dave Bowen

Collin County, Texas.

Paleontology: The next best thing to time travel.

If you look at the very tip of the tusk it looks to be ground down where another incisor slid past.Like a hippo with an on board sharpener!

These came from a box of fossils that a friend gave me. He says he wasn't sure where he found them, but I know he usually collects in the badlands of Alberta. :blink:

Interesting size...could you take pics of the ends again individually? Thanks.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

It's hard to tell much from the pics, Fig. The camera is having difficulty focusing on the detail. Most ivory has a recognizable pattern...ID is missing with the detail....

I'd go with tusks - looks like Schreger patterns in the cross sectional views (cross hatched grain similar to proboscidean tusks). Not sure if other critters exhibit this grain structure.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Dan, are you referring to the unfocused small patch of pattern on the far right pic? The pattern seems too isolated, but that one looks the most like ivory to me. It's awlful small.

Reminds me of a small Gomphothere tusk...

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

It's hard to tell much from the pics, Fig. The camera is having difficulty focusing on the detail. Most ivory has a recognizable pattern...ID is missing with the detail....
I stopped being lazy and took out my light box. Try this one! :)

post-1761-1247164443_thumb.jpg

Reminds me of a small Gomphothere tusk...

Thanks, that is much better. It appears to be ivory...maybe Harry, Nate, or another vert collector can weigh-in on this one. Auspex may be right....

Thanks, that is much better. It appears to be ivory...maybe Harry, Nate, or another vert collector can weigh-in on this one. Auspex may be right....

Tusks ARE teeth, though not all teeth are tusks. What is the distinction you are trying to make with these teeth from god-only-knows-what animals?

The badlands of Alberta? Age of these badlands? I thought that was Dinosaur country. ??

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Tusks ARE teeth, though not all teeth are tusks. What is the distinction you are trying to make with these teeth from god-only-knows-what animals?

The badlands of Alberta? Age of these badlands? I thought that was Dinosaur country. ??

I'm trying to find out what these fossils are and what animal they belong to! I don't know the age of the badlands or even if they come from there. If you would have read the thread you would know that they came from a box in my friends basement and he happens to collect out there! They could be from ebay for all that I know. And yes the badlands is dinosaur country!

"Badlands" might not mean Alberta badlands; I recall another "badlands" item you posted for ID that was IDed as an Oligocene mammal, no doubt from another badlands. This seems to be the case here, as I don't think that these teeth/tusks are dino.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Possibly Menoceras barbouri???? Not sure if the location is right...If they are chalky on the inside I'd suggest they actually came from China and are therefore chilotherium.

Nick

Okay, I'm willing to put money on it (not really). Here's a pic of chilotherium tusks. Round on the outside edge, sharp on the inside.

Nick

Nick, I concur with you on the flat one. :)

The round one may be the same thing. They tend to fatten out and get round at the base.

Nick

It's round most of the way up and has a little smaller base, would it be from a smaller or younger animal? :blink:

I'm trying to find out what these fossils are and what animal they belong to! I don't know the age of the badlands or even if they come from there. If you would have read the thread you would know that they came from a box in my friends basement and he happens to collect out there! They could be from ebay for all that I know. And yes the badlands is dinosaur country!
fig rocks

Are these teeth or tusks? Both are 4" long, 1 is 1 1/2" wide and the other is 1 3/4" wide. Some expert advice would be greatly appreciated!

Silly me! I thought you asked if your fossils were teeth or tusks!

They are teeth. The "tusk" in rhinos is actually a modified second incisor. The canines are lost. But, rather than conclude that they are rhino teeth, let's review what we think we know.

We know they are mammal teeth. We presume they are large land-mammal teeth. They could be from China or Alberta or from the Dakotas badlands. They are most likely from the later Eocene or the Oligocene or the Miocene. all times of large mammals with exposures in Northcentral North America (and China).

The teeth don't appear to be from Menoceras, the smallish, cursorial rhino from the Oligocene and Early Miocene. There are quite a few possibilities, if the teeth are indeed from a rhino or rhino-like animal.

You can compare your teeth with these, but I think you'll have to look farther than this to identify what you have.

post-42-1247195380_thumb.jpgpost-42-1247195409_thumb.jpg

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest