Looking For Megalodon Diving Center In U.s.a.

Alessandro A.

Hello!

I'm dreaming (now only a dream..) an USA holiday so I wish find some Megalodon teeth! (and ohter fossils too!!!!)

I'm looking for some diving center in USA that accompany people to find megalodon teeth.

Can you tell me some diving centers, name, or adress, or telephone number, or web links? All information is good!! How many depth are they? Because in Italy diving licence is connected to depth. Is it expensive?

Thanks for your attention

Bye

A.

There are some places in Venice Florida that offer scuba sites that have megalodon teeth. It's not guaranteed you will find one but it is highly likely and current prices last I checked were $40 a person.

The one I would recommend is Florida West Scuba in Venice, FLorida. I personally havent done it and don't know the prices. I do know its a 30 ft dive and I have heard that they know the good spots and are realy nice people. You can always beach dive in Venice also, but its alot of swimming.

Dan

I think that is the same place I have seen on tv and looked up the price. They seem to be the most reputable, the captain of the boat has a nice 6" tooth to show those that ask to see it. They don't guarantee you will find a nice meg but the odds are in your favor for a 3" one and some decent mammoth tooth fragments as well.

As far as shore diving I wouldn't recommend it, by the time you find a good place to look and start finding teeth you run out of air.

A-- go to www.spearitcharters.com Capt. Tom Collins has a great reputation. In the photos section of the website click on the charleston diving teeth link, you will find what you are looking for.

My girlfriend and I are going with Florida West Scuba in 2 weeks. I'll let you know how the trip goes. Poolman just got me more charged up for the dive, thanks for the good news that they are a good outfit.

I'm looking for some diving center in USA that accompany people to find megalodon teeth.

Hi Alessandro,

I have dived with and can recommend two operators who dive for megalodon teeth in the USA:

In South Carolina, in the Cooper River (near Charleston), contact Alec Blaylock at www.deepsouthrivers.com.

I dove with Alec the last two summers and found many shark teeth. On the second trip earlier this month (July 2009), one of the members of our party found a (damaged) 6.5" meg tooth! Cooper River diving is not for everyone as the water is quite dark (you must use a light) and there is always a current. Summer is the best time as the water is quite warm.

In Florida, near Venice Beach (Sarasota), contact Greg Galford at Florida Underwater Sports (www.floridaunderwatersports.com).

I dove with Greg (I knew Greg previously, he was my PADI Asst Instructor instructor) in Sept 2008. We found a number of shark teeth and the largest meg was about 5".

The findings were better, IMO, in the Cooper River, but the diving is easier at Venice.

Hope that helps.

Dave

Thx all for your replies and sorry for the delay of mine!

I'm on holiday and I'm without internet connection (now I'm on Internet Café)

I wish my megaldon diving dream will became true!!

:D bye

My girlfriend and I had our Venice Florida dive today. We got scuba certified in June, mainly for meg hunting. We have found that Key Largo, which is 2.5 hours from us, is pretty awesome diving, for scenic diving, but you can't pick up any rocks, fossils or shells. This is because it is a marine sanctuary where we dive in Key Largo. We got 9 dives experience jammed in, in Key Largo, before our Gulf of Mexico dive today. It is a world of difference diving the Gulf. On our best days in Key Largo, visibility was 100 ft. Today in the gulf visibility was 2-3 ft.

For me, the dive was a success. I was a little nervous about sharks. I have friends in Naples, where I live, who used to work in the high rise resorts. They have told me that from the roof, you can look out and see plenty of sharks cruising about a half a mile out, at certain times of the year. Well, Venice is only 80 miles up the gulf coast, so I figured there's the same amount of sharks cruising their waters. That my girlfriend and I conquered our fears, went in and did both dives was the best part for me. We were about 3 miles from the shore. We went in the water first. We had used the anchor line to descend for all of our other dives, but this wasn't an option on this dive. We agreed to descend and did so while holding on to each other's BC. It was creepy. You couldn't really tell if you were descending or not. The water had a light green haze to it, and eventually we reached the bottom. We only knew that by our feet hitting it. You couldn't see anything. We got down on our bellies and started looking. Once our faces were 2 ft. or so from the bottom we could see ok. We picked our compass direction and started hunting. Once I started hunting, I didn't think about a live shark once, only fossilized teeth. I found a nice Mako, and my girlfriend found a nice juvenile meg tooth. I hope to pick up a new camera soon, so I can post the pics. We also found some tiger shark and sand shark teeth. Our second dive was cut a little short, because of a thunderstorm. We were on our way back to the boat by the time of the "get back on the boat" warning came. That part was cool. They have an underwater public address system in addition to their alarm. The captain clearly told us to come back to the boat due to bad weather via underwater speakers. It sounded clear. It was strange.

All in all, I would recommend Florida West Scuba's Meg Charters. The service was great. The adventure was well worth the price of admission. We each brought home one nice new fossil, and a bunch of other ok ones.

My hat is off to Megateeth on this forum. The dive today was somewhat scary to me, and it was nothing compared to his diving conditions.