Fossil Shell from Texas

Mary437

• New Members

Being so new to the fossil world, I really don't know what I found here. 

It was found near all the petrified wood that we have in the area (East Texas) which are really in small pieces (a few larger logs).

I have found nothing similar; just rocks of quartz and other minerals. There is a lot of clay around that lays about 3 feet deep below the sandy & loam soils here.

We have found a river mussel that was perhaps eaten by a racoon but so far, no other shells have been discovered.

I would love to hear what you guys thing about this discovery.

It may not be a fossil at all and just a shell, I really don't know. Here are some photos of the top and the underside of this "rock".

Thanks!

MaryfromTexas

Shellfossil.jpg

shellfossil2.jpg

shellfossil3.jpg

shellfossil4.jpg

shellfossil5.jpg

Hello, and Welcome to the Forum. :) 

Hmm. Doesn't look like a shell fossil to me - but possibly banded chert/flint?  :headscratch:

The photos are a bit too blurry to make out any detail. :( 

Try taking them outside, from directly above the fossil - both sides.

And back off, just a bit, from the fossil - we need the item l in focus, not the surface of the background. :) 

Holding them in hand can cause blurring of the image. ;) 

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png    VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015       MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg        IPFOTM -- MAY - 2024   IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png

_________________________________________________________________________________
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Welcome to the Forum, Mary!
The pictures are a little bit unfocused, but it looks to me that there could be shell remnant of a bivalve, something similar to a pectinid, but it's just my opinion. :headscratch:

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Welcome, MaryfromTexas!

I hope you enjoy the forum, and will learn a lot. I am another newbie, but feel I have already increased my knowledge (and interest) 1000%.

About your shell; I would do as fossildude19 recommended; reshoot the photos better. Then, submit them to the "Fossil ID" thread, asking for ID, where the advanced guys and gals will more likely see them. Good luck!

Best Regards,

Bob