Silver Colored Pyrite.

art

During a recent foray I found a pyrite that had two colors of crystals. A small part of it was the normal brassy color, and the rest had the same crystal structure except it was silver in color.

Is this a common variation?

That is not an uncommon occurance. Another possibility is a change in the chemical composition in the Pyrite by the presence of another metal. Copper and gold are frequently found in pyrite and to an extent can influence the color. Could you post a picture?

Be true to the reality you create.

Marcasite can be silvery colored and sometimes form cubes. can you post a pic? Oh, test the silver crystals with a nail, if the nail scratches the cubes then it's probably Galena.

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

• 4 weeks later...

Soooo, this crystal cluster has been sitting in front of my keyboard since I first posted about it, and it developed a fracture- just sitting there. I picked it up, and it broke in half. Then it just started to crumble over the next few days. The thing is turning to dust before my very eyes..........

Marcasite can be silvery colored and sometimes form cubes. can you post a pic? Oh, test the silver crystals with a nail, if the nail scratches the cubes then it's probably Galena.

I tried to post pics of other fossils I have, and the camera just isn't up to it.

Marcasite specimens, iron sulfide, will often decay to a pile of white powder.

big time

big time

Amen! I have several boxes with powder reeking of sulphur odor. Use to be marcasite.

-----"Your Texas Connection!"------

Fossils: Windows to the past

I should also mention that some pyrite is also readly subject to decay.

I would guess that the microbes that are involved in causing the decay do better in an oxygen enriched environment, but this is only a guess.

You could probably google an answer to your question that carries more credibility than my guess.

Amen! I have several boxes with powder reeking of sulphur odor. Use to be marcasite.

It does have a slight sulfur odor...not real pleasant, now that you mention it.

It does have a slight sulfur odor...not real pleasant, now that you mention it.

Sulfuric acid; keep it well away from anything you like having around!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

i've actually gotten to see large amounts of this stuff in varying stages, from "new" and shiny, to powder, because it lives near me, kinda. i personally just can't collect anything made of these unstable minerals, even if they are cool. i mean, i've got a few small pyritized things, but i think most of them had sharp edges on them that stuck on my clothes and rode home on me or something. i'm allergic to oxidation and consider it second only to taxation in annoyance factor.

if you wish to be depressed, google "pyrite rot" or "pyrite disease" and start reading about it. i'm telling you, folks, it's right up there with tooth decay as far as fun goes.

<shouting very loudly> WHEN PYRITE IS OUTLAWED, ONLY OUTLAWS WILL OWN PYRITE!!!

wow. um, sorry.

i don't have many pet peeves, but the ones i do have are doozies, i guess.

Marcasite and pyrite from some localities are quite stable. For example, many marcasite specimens from the Tr-State district have survived decades without decay. I have pyrite specimens that have been in my collection for 20 plus years and they are just as nice as when I first got them.

• 5 years later...
  • New Members

this looks like the same pyrite or ore you were talking about. the streaking is blackish and was found with normal pyrite. post-17688-0-71145200-1424899890_thumb.jpg

• New Members

this looks like the same pyrite or ore you were talking about. the streaking is blackish and was found with normal pyrite. attachicon.gifIMG_1256.JPG

this has not crumbled have had it for a year