Bird Bones

Seldom

I have several modern bird bones I want to keep for reference. Should I coat them with Duco glue or leave them alone.

Galveston Island 32 miles long 2 miles wide 134 bars 23 liquor stores any questions?

Evolution is Chimp Change.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain!

"I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen." Ernest Hemingway

Once they're thoroughly dried, a soak in 2:1 acetone/duco will toughen them up for handling.

Remember that there's tissue inside too, and any moisture sealed in will culture it.

• I found this Informative 1

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Remember that there's tissue inside too, and any moisture sealed in will culture it.

Thats one thing that has me worried, I run into a smelly problem last year with some fish bones. Thinking of putting them in a food dehydrator to make sure they are completely dry. What are your thoughts on that.

Galveston Island 32 miles long 2 miles wide 134 bars 23 liquor stores any questions?

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain!

"I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen." Ernest Hemingway

A food dehydrator sounds like a great idea; give them a good long sauna, and drop them warm into the thinned duco.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

A my friend some years ago fishing,has found a dead shark in the net together with the fishes... he have removed the mouth of the shark and buried it in the ground for two months or more,when he have extracted this,was cleaned it from the worms,and did not smell more of fish,a perfect work from a old fisher.

You can try before with this method for to dry up the bones,for the mouth of shark work well I don't know for the bird bones,and after with the Acetone/duco for the protection,you can try also with the Acetone/Paraloid work very well for the bones.

Good works

Red ;)

->>>>> :)<

hey seldom

you can also try putting the bones on a red ant hill (if you have acess to one), but it will need to be covered with maybe a milke crate or something to keep varmits from taking the bones. Another option is to buy flesh eating beetles. Here is one of probably many places to buy them: http://wardsci.com/product.asp?splid=SPLID...hcd2=1247438520

hope this helps

Fossil man

Ants, beetles, etc. are wonderful for picking clean the exposed surfaces. We need, however, to address the air-sac tissue lining the interior of a bird's bones; dessication before sealing sounds feasible.

Fleshing is not the problem the fish and crabs do a good job before I get them. And I have used ants many times in the pass they work great.

I drilled a small hole 1/32 in each end and placed them in the dehydrator for 12 hours then into the glue mix, I might add that I injected glue into the hole. So far so good we will know more in a few days.

As a after thought I should have run some H202 thou the bone before starting the drying.