Mystery Nodule

Ron E.

Found this mystery nodule in some very hard limestone, in amongst dozens of layers of brachiopods and bryozoans, and a few horn corals. Early Mississippian, Boone Limestone Formation, Benton County, Ark.

post-1880-1247410257_thumb.jpgpost-1880-1247410338_thumb.jpg

Any ideas?

Looks kinda' crinoidy.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Looks kinda' crinoidy.

The striations completely encircle it, but are far from straight. It reminds me of a wind-weathered rock in the desert. A geologist here in Arkansas wasn't 100% sure it was organic (from viewing my pics, not hands-on), but the fact that it was on the bottom of the sea surrounded by millions of brachs and bryos leads me to believe it was alive once.

Ron E...... Looks 'Fossily' to me to Ron...... something that may have been distorted, but definately a fossil of somekind, like a clam....

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

Maybe a crushed or warped Horn Coral? Did you see any other instances of Horn corals in the bed that had similar striations?

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Have you checked it for hardness? Try seeing if glass can be scratched by it (or vise versa). looks more like the outside of a nodule poss an agate nodule to me.

Be true to the reality you create.

Have you checked it for hardness? Try seeing if glass can be scratched by it (or vise versa). looks more like the outside of a nodule poss an agate nodule to me.

No agates in my area that I'm aware of, Frank M.

I've seen similar striations in horned corals and even some brachs, but the lower(?) end is complete, and there's no opening. Could possibly be a former opening crushed, I s'pose. There is a bit missing from the top (?) which might have led to a horn's cone tip.

Guest solius symbiosus

It looks like the stromotoporoid Aulaceras, but I don't know their range. Can you put some magnification to it?

It looks like the stromotoporoid Aulaceras, but I don't know their range. Can you put some magnification to it?

I'll shoot some magnified pics and post on Wednesday.

Guest solius symbiosus

I did some searching, and found that the aulaceratids are Mid., and Upper Ord., so it can't be that. If it were a rugosid, there should be some remnants of the septa, and/or tabulae still present.