Trace Fossil, Pseudofossil, Invertebrate Marine Fossil, Or Rock?

TheBurningMap

Found this strange specimen near Inglis, Florida along with numerous echnoid fossils in Ocala Limestone. The specimen was definitely different from surrounding matrix and has a familiar shape that I cannot seem to place, though it may be just a stupid rock (and yes, I did read about posting items for ID in this forum, but foolishly decided to take my chances anyway). Any help out there?

post-1908-1247511459_thumb.jpg

post-1908-1247511488_thumb.jpg

post-1908-1247511560_thumb.jpg

TheBurningMap

Space Coast, FL, USA

Interesting... could it be a large gastropod's steinkern. Say from a whelk or conche?

I thought about that as the material could be concretion, but the whorl just doesn't seem tight enough to convince me...

TheBurningMap

Space Coast, FL, USA

Looks like one of those neck pillows that you use on planes. :)

Maybe a sponge of some sort? Is there any texture to the surface?

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Ahh grashopper, you have found ancient Chinese fortune cookie, break it open for your future.

ashcraft, brent allen

Looks like one of those neck pillows that you use on planes. :)

Maybe a sponge of some sort? Is there any texture to the surface?

There is very little, if any, texture to the surface. It really looks more like a cast of some type, but I cannot figure out the creature. A sponge could be it.....it is asymmetrical to a degree. The matrix was right up next to this and I kind of plucked it out, so I'm not sure it had a shell of any sort...

TheBurningMap

Space Coast, FL, USA

Interesting... could it be a large gastropod's steinkern. Say from a whelk or conche?

I am thinking this might be the best answer.....would not be the first thing I have sitting in my house that I do not know what the heck it is!!

TheBurningMap

Space Coast, FL, USA

I believe I have found the answer thanks to the book "The Geology Of Florida", page 100. Velates Floridanus

Check out this link......A Gastropod of the Genus Velates from the Florida Eocene

Wow. You deduced that from the text, no pics.

You, sir, are a Geek. IMHO, the capitalized noun is the highest compliment I can pay a fellow geek.

:D

Maybe is an internal mould of a big oyster???Check and show the pic's if you find some pieces of the shell calcite on the block.

->>>>> :)<

Wow. You deduced that from the text, no pics.

You, sir, are a Geek. IMHO, the capitalized noun is the highest compliment I can pay a fellow geek.

:D

The Geek part may be true (as a byproduct from being a biologist/computer scientist) but I only deduced it from the pictures in the book and pages 2 & 3 of the link I provided.....

TheBurningMap

Space Coast, FL, USA

Pictures from the previous linked reference....pretty good match, I think!! B)

post-1908-1247711045_thumb.jpg

post-1908-1247711056_thumb.jpg

TheBurningMap

Space Coast, FL, USA

Pictures from the previous linked reference....pretty good match, I think!! B)

Yes I think is this Velates Floridanus ,in the your right pic.

->>>>> :)<

No you are totally wrong.

What you don't know was many years ago the local policeman was parked close to where you found that, munching on his favorite item (a box of dougnuts). Disrupted from his feast, he chucked the box out the window and drove to whatever call that had detoured him. Over the course of years, the neglected cakes escaped predation and slowly fossilised - leaving you the mysterious remains you have presented here. The proof is in the carefully preserved bitten out parts which Forensics can trace (through the bite circumfrence to a long retired officer of the law... :P

Be true to the reality you create.

No you are totally wrong.

What you don't know was many years ago the local policeman was parked close to where you found that, munching on his favorite item (a box of dougnuts). Disrupted from his feast, he chucked the box out the window and drove to whatever call that had detoured him. Over the course of years, the neglected cakes escaped predation and slowly fossilised - leaving you the mysterious remains you have presented here. The proof is in the carefully preserved bitten out parts which Forensics can trace (through the bite circumfrence to a long retired officer of the law... :P

Of course!! That would explain the Dunkin' Donuts box I found a few feet away!! How did I miss this?

TheBurningMap

Space Coast, FL, USA