Miscelleous Fossils

Stacey

I have a few other fossils I've collected over the years and would like some help with IDing...

Found in Leon Co., Texas at my dad's place. He has a huge exposed area of iron ore to the back of his place, with sand and rocks ranging from boulders to pebbles. My daughter found this laying exposed on the ground. I think it's neat because it looks like the leaves just fell in the mud yesterday. To me they look like oak leaves, but I'm sure they're probably something else. Does anyone have a guess at what kind they are?

leaffos.jpg

This was picked up out of a crushed limestone driveway several years ago. It's about 1 in. long. What kind of coral is this?

coralfos.jpg

Nice piece of crystalized limestone, the cast being dusted with crystals. I don't remember where I found this. Clam?

clamfos01.jpg

Found in Leon Co., Texas at my dad's place. He has a huge exposed area of iron ore to the back of his place, with sand and rocks ranging from boulders to pebbles....To me they look like oak leaves, but I'm sure they're probably something else....

leaffos.jpg

If you notice that the "veins" have no pattern, you will see that these are not leaves.

The iron minerals can produce some crazy looking things.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Stacey,

Thats a nice looking coral you have found. Just looking at the picture I think it may be a Septaster sp. It is a scleractinian coral which is to say Phylum Coelenterata or Cnidaria, Class Anthozoa, Order Scleractinia. I wonder where that crushed limestone came from in your driveway. If you know you should go there and try to collect some more of those corals. Um, not a lot of limestone in Leon County.

Leon County has quite a few fossils, especially around Leona, Texas.

That leaf fossil can be pretty hard to identify without it being complete. I suspect it is from the Yegua Formation. Where there is one leaf there are probably more.

JKFoam

The Eocene is my favorite

Thanks for the ID. I didn't get the coral in Leon County. I'm trying to remember where exactly I picked it up...I'm always looking through the rocks in places where I think I might find something interesting. I've found many an interesting rock or thing in crushed limestone drives. ;)

My dad lives just south of Oakwood, in Red Branch, if that's any help.