Crinoids?

Stacey

I'm not sure what these are, but I'm assuming some sort of water plant/animal. They aren't the greatest and are really weathered. These were found in a field in Bastrop Co., Texas.

This one appears to have a stem at the left, but I'm not really sure.

crifos03.jpg

This is a pretty good sized rock. It's relatively flat and featureless on the back.

crifos01.jpg

A close-up of the point of interest.

crifos02.jpg

You can't see the fine detail, but the feathering is just great on this one, covering nearly the whole surface of the rock.

crifos04.jpg

They don't look like crinoids. Never heard of any coming from Bastrop County. Could be some other plant material as you said. I believe most of that area is Eocene. I have recently started researching that area, so if I come across something like that, I will let you know. Maybe some other Texan will know.

Guest solius symbiosus

The second, and third, pics do resemble very weathered pinnate arms... sort of, but I don't think that is what they are. Then again, I know little of Texas stuff.

Here is one from the Ord.:

Archaeocrinus(?)

width of pic about 10cm

post-179-1247652744_thumb.jpg

We have mostly Ordovician material around here, and my initial thought was cross ections of Archimedes Screws, but that wouldn't be Eocene......also looks somewhat like a finestra (sp?) type bryozoan.

Brent Ashcraft

ashcraft, brent allen

I'm not a geologist - cone in cone structure???

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Guest solius symbiosus
We have mostly Ordovician material around here, ...

Hmm...God's country, huh?

if there is such a place

I'm not a geologist - cone in cone structure???

I was thinking the same thing... the zigzag pattern is curious.

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Here's the backside of the one with the feathering. I think the holes are almost vent-like. I keep envisioning some sort of flat, fan-looking parts with feathery growths on a big round head.

crifos05.jpg

I was looking at another rock I found with them that didn't have any real outstanding features, until I noticed this on the bottom of it. I don't know if you can really see it, but it's a rough, 5-petaled flower shape. I don't know if it's really anything, but it looked interesting.

crifos06.jpg