Hunting In Rivers And Fossil Quality

beljason

• New Members

So my boys and I are total newbies at this. Our interest has been created by finding fossils accidentally along the river banks in our area. We started looking purposefully for them and are not haveing a problem finding fossils, however our fossils are all smoothed over, very little detail left from the river smoothing them like any river rock. When searching a river where do you find better quality fossils or does that require searching a different type of area all together? we are finding ammonite's (ammonite pieces anyway), bivalves (neithea mostly), gastropods (cerithium bosquense, tylostoma, anchura, some others I cant remember right now) and echinoids (heteraster and macraster) in limestone gravel rivers (North and middle Bosque mostly, sometimes the Brazos). Thanks for any suggestions

Look more in the exposed bluffs and banks than in the gravel bars and float. Spot barely exposed fossils in the rocky outcrops and chisel them out.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Look more in the exposed bluffs and banks than in the gravel bars and float. Spot barely exposed fossils in the rocky outcrops and chisel them out.

I agree, look in the rock outcrops, find them before they get washed out and into the river. After a good rain tends to expose more, so that is always a good time to look.

Those fossils that you are finding are coming from somewhere ..Right? So now try and find out where they are weathering into the river from to find nicer specimens. They could be coming from the bluffs,bank areas,and also from the deeper channels near the center of the river.During low water times you can check spots that were not accessible when the water is up.Have you tried sifting? Also with a long handled shovel you can grab material from deeper pools and run it through a sifter. Also if you have a Geo map of the area you are hunting you can find out which formations are there.Once you find the formation you can research the types of material that makes up the formation/s there.Usually the descriptions note color,texture etc; of the materials that make up the formation which helps ID the outcrop if it is exposed.

I'd guess he's working somewhere in the Goodland to Duck Creek sequence based on the preponderance of ammonites although some younger formations are exposed along the river.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."