hauyn888

Found this "cutted" fish years ago, it slept in a box in my barn, now I´ve prepared it but can´t imagine what had happened million years ago,

the fossil is complete articulated but cutted! See the pictures from Positiv  and Negative ( The Negative Para.1 I had coloured - the PosPara. 2  is the Original not coloured).

Who has an explanation what happened?

Thanks

Paramblypterus (1).jpg

Paramblypterus (2).jpg

As the rock was being pushed up to the surface it cracked and there was some displacement along the fractures.

The pieces will be very fragile along the cracks.

Hello ynot, I had a similar consideration, but on closer examination of the overall situation, the fund situation, this reasoning is not plausible. 20 cm further, 50, 30 in layers above and below this foundation layer no more "cuts" are dived - all fossils are there in situ and "perfect" .... and now? ... well, I am only 55 Years old, so still have time to find the solution ... I like this fossil because it is perfect, perfectly broken!

Faulting will often cause fossils to slide apart like that. 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png    VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015       MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg        IPFOTM -- MAY - 2024   IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png

_________________________________________________________________________________
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

2 hours ago, hauyn888 said:

Hello ynot, I had a similar consideration, but on closer examination of the overall situation, the fund situation, this reasoning is not plausible. 20 cm further, 50, 30 in layers above and below this foundation layer no more "cuts" are dived - all fossils are there in situ and "perfect" .... and now?

For unknown reasons some layers will be more brittle than other layers and will fracture and slide while an other layer close by will bend and stretch.

We see this sometimes in the Green River Formation.

I will find a perfect half on the edge of a crack only to find the next side blank.

This is a neat find in which both sides of the fracture so preservation.

It happens to be one of those very little known German "Zig-Zag" fish. Oooo, very rare indeed!

Dorensigbadges.JPG